Another newbie joining the fold

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd say hello and that I'm so pleased to have found you all here!

Today is my first day on Orlistat- and I can't tell you how nervous I was before taking that first bright blue capsule! I lurked here last night and I think it's what stopped me bottling out.

I know I need to get to grips with this- as, like most people, I suspect, it's got to the point where I have to do something!!!!

My weight at the moment is 13 stone, which, when you're 4ft 11, isn't good!!! I'm not so keen on resembling a giant cottage loaf and I also have a lot of back and joint pain, so really need to get the weight shifting.

I'm actually a clerk at my local WW group and did pretty well with WW until I became quite ill. I've had an interesting year (including a biopsy and a brain scan).

Part of my condition (a lifelong one) is that I get tired very easily and quickly which has meant my physical activity went down. Of course, the weight went up and the pain got worse (more weight to carry) so being heavier made me even more tired, so less exercise and so on....

Last week I came to the end of my tether and my GP prescribed Orlistat as a helping hand in trying to break that vicious circle.

Soooo- I'm back on track with WW and have had my first day on Orlistat.

So far no nasty effects, but then I've eaten [i:89edcb382e]really[/i:89edcb382e] low fat stuff today because I've been a bit nervous about any side effects. I suppose I'll learn where the limits are and so on.

Anyhow- 'nuff waffle about me- I just wanted to say that I'm already finding so many useful tips and information on here.and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more.

Good to be here!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi and welcome

be careful combining ww and orlistat as the criterias are different, you can be within your ww points but overdo your fat allowance so remember to check packets for fat per portion even if the ww points are within limits

i don't really know much about you condition and i dont know how much you've tried but i find the more i exercise the more energy i build up, could you do something like swimming or walking and increase the time/speed as you go along?

keep reading through the forum, theres lots of old threads full of valuable info, we've all been new at some point smile good luck

• Posted

Thank you Sparkles.

I've noticed a few comments in other threads about WW and Orlistat- and am glad I've read them. Bit of an eye opener! I'm pretty confident it can be combined ok but you're right about keeping an eye on the fat content versus points. I went and had a look at some of the WW snacks I had lurking and was rather shocked that low propoints doesn't always equate with low enough fat content.

I certainly appreciate the heads up!

We're quite keen walkers in our family (a typical 'walk' for us ranged from about 5 to 20 miles in general) but because of being unwell and joint pain, I can't currently manage quite that much. I can still do a fair distance but pay for it later! I'm sticking to short walks each day at the moment.

Well, Day 2 is over- and I had my first experience of that'where's the loo!!!!!' moment I've heard of! It only happened once today but was.... well.... I'm sure you can fill in the blanks!

I'd eaten such low fat foods up till then (tracking it sooooo carefully at the mo!) that I'm hoping it there was still something from before I started Orlistat. Is that common- for it not to have any effect till the second day? (Didn't even come close to 30g yesterday and hadn't even reached 5g today when it 'hit').

I'm still sussing it all out really. Early days smile

• Posted

Welcome Tianne

Good luck on your weight loss journey, keep us posted on your progress :D

• Posted

food in your system can take about 48 hours to take effect, my understanding of it all is the more 'excess' fat you have in your system the more urgent its exit, so if you had a lot of excess fat it would evacuate far quicker
  • Posted

Yeah- that'd make sense!!!!

Thanks, that's a relief to know.

Today's been good -even though my darling family came home from Asda with a big gooey coffee cake that they'd found reduced to a 'couldn't leave it behind price!'.

Ok, resolve- get your armour on. This time we take no prisoners!!!!

• Posted

Welcome and good luck to you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.