Another newbie Q: Is it safe to take vitamin supplements whilst undergoing venesection?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

Another newbie Q please, on behalf of husband, hope you don't mind sharing your wealth of knowledge.

He has a extremely tough, physical job that drains his energy, up at 5am, commute to London, home late.

Can anybody recommend any vitamins to take whilst undergoing vs - Vitamin B complex, for example?

Currently he takes Higher Nature Maxi Multi without iron (taken separate from food as contains some Vitamin C), Fish Oil capsules, Vitamin D, Magnesium before bed. 

He has Adult Onset Asthma (c 10 years on now) and takes a steroid pump twice daily - the consultant said the asthma inflammation may also contribute to the high ferritin levels.  Also just been diagnosed with Multiple Gallbladder Polyps and Fatty Liver - waiting to see the consultant - from what I've researched, there may be a possible connection with HH.

Trying not to do too much of a radical diet change, cut down red meat to once per week, lots of fish and chicken, however cutting out fatty and sugar foods re: fatty liver.

Any advice much appreciated.

With thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Very interesting to hear that your Husband has Gall bladder polyps. It was found in a scan that I too have them. I’m still waiting to see the haematologist to see if i have HH. 

Sorry but with regards to your original question I was told by my GP NOT to take any supplements containing iron or Vit C.

Hope you get the answers you’re looking for.

• Posted

Thanks Samantha - we are wondering if there is any connection with the gall bladder polyps / fatty liver and HH.  We'll find out on Thurs at consultant appointment (general surgery) if he will need to have the gallbladder removed.  Guess they're of varying degrees and depends how much blockage is created.

Hope you get the all clear - when do you get the result?

Apparently the vitamins to take during VS are folate and B12 - not sure in what quantity though.

https://haemochromatosis.org.au/dietvx/

• Posted

Anybody can offer advice?  Do you take folate and B12.

With thanks.

• Posted

Diet is the key eating healthy one should give you all that you need without vitamin top ups.

Depending which country you are from if it is like the UK the only ones I recommend is Vit D due to lack of sunlight you may also need to make sure you have enough calcium in diet.

Taking multi vitamins can be more harmful then good this is something people do not think about each one works either to increase another one or cancel it out also there is research to show relying on vitamins this way is not good for the body long term.

I hope this doesn't scare you but if you have fatty liver you need to do diet changes and loading up with vitamins is not a good thing only take them if needed which your labs should show if required.

Folate and B12 can be handy from time to time but again you should get them from diet fairly easily, most times I only recommend them if you are pregnant or your labs show they are low.

There is different types of fat the same with sugar so I would say switch to something like oats in the morning add some fruit with it bananas are very good this will also give a nice vitamin boost plus fill you easily until lunch time.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  We try and eat a healthy diet as possible - it's about having vitamins as a supplement - can't help thinking having blood drawn regularly is going to deplete certain vitamins though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.