Another Person Suffering with ETD- 3 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

I could use your advice.

Like many of you, I am dealing with tinnitus,crackling, ETD, on/off pressure in my head.

I never had a problem with ears, sinus or allergies before.

3 months ago I took a long flight with a cold and shortly thereafter I slightly perforated my right eardrum putting in drops for for chronic eczema.

The next morning I felt like I was underwater with limited hearing on the right, pressure and a draining ear. Antibiotics and short course of prednisone helped the acute problems. Ear drum quickly healed.

After 8 ENTs, MRI and CT scan , allergy shots, night guard to protect the TMJ from clenching at night from the dentist, physical therapy for the neck, acupuncture and I still have the ETD and tinnitus. Normal hearing now.

I am taking Flavinoid Complex which is supposed to help tinnitus.

I had a consult for the balloon dilation therapy and was told it's only 50/50 it will help me.

I am seeing an ENT/allergist who has observed some allergies specifically impact the eustachian tube. Allergies to environmental triggers found so I started shots.

I started using an EarPopper. Who knows if it will help. The ENT said the crackling is probably adhesions around the eustachian tube so the EarPopper might help.

I am too afraid to fly. And I'm depressed by not flying.

Questions:

1) Any recommendations for the tinnitus?

2) I prefer to avoid steroids as they weaken the immune system. Any other suggestions?

3) Other than earplanes, nasal spray and sudafed, can you suggest something for flying?

I am terrified.

thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Morning Loren,

No doubt you've read all of my messages on this Forum to people suffering the same.

Sadly, it looks as though you've run out of options, as it looks like you've tried everything.

I hear what you're saying about Prednisolone, but they're the only thing that work for

me.  A short course when ears are clogged just isn't enough and as you may well have

read, that a 20 day reducing course is what I've been given.  Our tubes are swollen, so we need

to get rid of the inflammation to allow drainage.  Once this has been completely clear up

you should find your Tinnitus will go.  I too suffer Tinnitus mine is a high pitched whistle, is 

much lower since taking the steroids.   Sometimes one decent course of them is all you'll

need.  What you are hearing, the crackling is mucus in your Eustachian Tubes....have you

tried to pop them.

I too have suffered perforations in my left eardrum and like you scared to fly and haven't

in 5 yrs which is miserable.  ETD affects our lives badly, so to add to the fact it's dodgy to

fly makes it that much worse.

I sympathise with everyone on this Forum who suffers ETD as there just doesn't seem to

be an answer for it.  Being desensitised by having the jabs hopefully will help.  I should

probably try those for my allergies too.

Anne

• Posted

I would love to help you, but all I can do is tell you what has helped me:

1. changing my diet, removing caffeine and alcohol for the most part and eating smaller portions more frequently

2. started exercising. I do 3 larger workouts a week (about 90-120 mins) which includes cardio and I also do 200 pushups a day (started as a 30-day challenge, that was over a year ago). You don't have to do all that, but 3x a week cardio will help a lot with your sinus/head. BTW I was healthy weight before and now too, in fact I'm more of a skinny type. 

3. in the beginning I was doing nasal rinses daily, I only do it once a while now

No medication! Of course I tried everything in the first 3 years, but nothing worked and I also had all the tests in the world you can imagine (you can read my previous posts)

After suffering with ETD and tinnitus for 3 years, I've gotten 80-90% better in the past 12 months.

Hope this helps a bit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.