Another problem after green light laser prostate surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

**I posted before about my problems of frequency and urgency after surgery but forgot to mention a third problem. Every time after I urinate I get the urge to have a bowl movement whether I have to go or not. Every time. Is this normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

In no way normal. Do you actually have a bowel movement or just the feeling you need to ?

What have your doctors said about it ?

• Posted

I got the same problem after urinary retention and after FLA as well , Dr explained when bladder is irritated both movements come together due to both are smooth muscles , after bladder healed it went away !

• Posted

I'm not a professional, but a while ago when I was straining a lot to pee and with urgency the Physician Assistant told me the nerves to the rectum are close by, the brain is trying it's best to get you to pee and in her words "gets confused" doing all it can to help you pee - I think as you heal from surgery and bladder also starts getting used to new situation it will probably go away. I don't think it's something to worry about unless it goes on for a long time

• Posted

FWIW, since having 5+ liters drained from my "massively distended bladder" during an ER visit following a bicycle fall, my BMs have become much more regular and normal. There obviously is a connection!

• Posted

Patrick,

I noticed the same too after 2 liters was drained out of me almost 2 years ago. I suspect that the distended bladder was taking up space and displacing the colon in ways that were effecting how it worked.

Steve

• Posted

Yup, sometimes when I bear down a bit when peeing, I feel like I need to poop and fart a little bit too. I am not worrying about it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.