Another question - painkillers before TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had all sorts of painkillers over the years for osteoarthritis including solpadeine, co-codamol, and paracetamol.  Generally I only took them at night and paracetamol is the one I've had for many years now, despite the general advice being NOT to prescribe it for arthritis 'because it doesn't do anything'.  BUT I only take it at night on worst flare ups, and give it a break every five days otherwise it stops working.  But it does help me sleep through.  Are others on painkillers, and do they work?  What worked best for me was flexiseq cream rather than tablets for the pain during the day.  Anything else that others can recommend?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes I do. I have to.  I was trying to find way to message u what my doctor prescibed that has helps me. 
  • Posted

I'm 4 months now & was getting on ok ,now the last week the stiffness & burning feeling has been horrendous,keeping me awake most nights. Am feeling exhausted & almost wish I'd never had it done. My surgeon has signed me off & although knee is sore & swollen he just said it was normal , another 3 months ??? I take co codamol ibuprofen.sometimes use Voltarol gel. Tramadol &  and he morphine made me ve y sick. How much longer I ask , am hoping to go on a 5 hour car ride in July to my grandson s wedding 

• Posted

Eileen, you haven't got a temperature generally, have you?  I'm so sorry this has flared up.  I know a lot of us feel that icing stops working at some point, but if it's burning, have you tried icing?

• Posted

Hi Chris. Yes I do ice several times a day & every 2-3 hours in the nights lately . I cant  think of anything different I've done to bring this on . The surgeon said we have to get on with living & not sit  @ all the time. Well, as you know from previous texts I'm not a one to sit around too long . I wonder if I don't rest enough. I am pretty fed up with it now., im SO grateful for this site as you all know on here exactly what I am saying & don't mind listening. I just need one night sleep. Thanks for reading. Xx

• Posted

Oh Eileen - I really feel for you!  But you did check that you haven't got a general temperature, didn't you?

Yes, it's not good for us to sit around all the time, but I still think we need to gradually build up to doing more.

• Posted

Am sure Chris I haven't got a temperature. I feel well, just really tired. I am on the go most of the days but do try to rest a bit. Although surgeon did say it takes 6 months I thought I'd start having better nights by now. Guess I've had a couple ( since January) when I've slept 5 hours, which is good, Well now I've had a moan , fingers crossed, that nights will start getting better, I'm going to put Volterol on tonight. x

• Posted

That's good Eileen - I was getting worried if you had a temperature.  I've a suspicion you lead a much busier life than me and just haven't had time to recuperate.  I generally have a sleeping problem but a couple of paracetamol are usually enough to help me sleep but if I start getting used to those then I use piriton for a few nights.  These will generally help me sleep through any pain of the unoperated knee.  The operated knee has never given me pain to keep me awake apart from one night.  I know - I've been so lucky with it!  I hope you can sleep well tonight.

• Posted

Yes Chris I sometimes feel I've never got time for myself. I must try to rest more. It's the knee that wakes me up. It will be great when I can just sleep. I have piriton in the house  I will take a couple tonight. Worth a try. Thank you SO much for texting & helping me , I appreciate it, I will get over this,  am hoping to have a quiet weekend. 

• Posted

Eileen, check the dose on the packet!  I only take one.  Nytol work well for some too, but they make me depressed.  You don't need to thank me - I just want to hear that you're feeling better!:-)))) I SO hope you get a good night's sleep tonight!:-))))

• Posted

Good morning Chris. I must tell you I had one of my rare good nights. I didn't have Piriton in the house after all. But had my hot bath In the evening , rather than the morning. I used Voltarol gel & took ibuprofen & my usual herbal Boots own sleepezee tabs , I woke up a couple of times but NOT with pain, went straight back to sleep. Gosh I feel tons better , even from ONE night's sleep. Thanks again for 'being there' have a good day

• Posted

Eileen, I thought of you when I woke up this morning and wondered how you'd slept!  I'm SO pleased you had a good night!  Now I wish you many more:-)))))  You have a lovely day too!:-))))

• Posted

Jtlyk my bad nights seem to be over now. 4 months & at last after the good night I told you I had it's been good ever since. It's great to get at least 6 -7 hours sleep. My knee is STILL so stiff & im hoping it will get better too. Have you got your date for other knee yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.