Another reason of low saliva levels.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I decided to post this because I don't have the Sjogren's antibody but I do have changes consistent with

Sjogren's. I also have burning mouth syndrome and I kept googling to find out why. The majority of people with burning mouth syndrome are post menopausal women who are in their sixties. I am sixty six. I finally saw the relation of burning mouth syndrome with estrogen levels. I also have facial neuropathy.

however, postmenopausal women are at greater risk of developing this condition because an hormonal imbalance is known to be one of the causes. Estrogen plays an important role in the formation of saliva, therefore, once estrogen levels decrease, as occurs during the menopause, this can cause a burning mouth.Apr 24, 2017

Can the menopause cause burning mouth syndrome? — Yours

https://www.yours.co.uk/health.../can-the-menopause-cause-burning-mouth-syndrome​

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Salivary anti bodies are totally unreliable markers for Sjogrens ...... Less than 50% of women with clinical SS show such anti bodies and less than 10% of men ...

You may well have Sjogrens but the medics are too stupid to diagnose as they don't understand the disease and even less understand immunology .

• Posted

My dermatologist did two lip biopsies on me as my blood work came out negative for antibodies. One biopsy was negative for antibodies and the second one was positive for changes consistent with Sjogren's, so I do indeed have it. Thank you with blessings, donna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.