Another ROM question after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had my last physio session yesterday and I'm now 14 weeks post op. My flexion is now 95 degrees and extension 0. This measurement was taken after a 40 minute exercise session involving strength, balance, and ROM exercises so I was fairly warmed up and fully stretched out. So I'm just asking when people say what their ROM is on this forum is that a measurement after physio or is it a measurement taken as soon as you leap out of bed. It takes me a while to stretch out. First thing this morning I was only 80 degrees flexion and it takes me a good amount of time to get it bent to 95 degrees. Another question is will this improve over time? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm like the tin man after a rest even for an hour. I truly believe it's only numerd quoted. I know myself how im doing. This is my second TKR I got to 120 before finishing with physio. This time on the other leg I've got 80 5 weeks post op. I'm quite happy with that It will get better as my leg inflammation goes down and time goes on. It's only a number different every time they measure. Because each physio member of the team start in different points on the leg 👹 So like I say to me it's only numbers

• Posted

So your 120 measurement is after physio, but worse when rested. I suppose what I'm trying to find out by people who have fully recovered from a TKR is does that good measurement you achieve after physio come naturally overtime or do you constantly have to stretch out to achieve it for the rest of your life. I'm finding in order to ride my bike I have to do heel slides, squats and stretches before I can ride it, I'm hoping there will come a time when I can just get straight on it and pedal without being in pain x 

• Posted

I’m the same snoozy. As soon as I go into PT, she measures flexion. We then do bit of walking and half rotations on bike and it improves by 10 degrees. 

I think it can also depend on time of PT session. I have bought my own measuring device and the level of flexion varies. 

PT not concerned and advised people can improve on ROM even after a year. 

Keep going. 

• Posted

My measurements were always after physio.  You are still in early stages.  I will be 2year post P.O. in February 2018. I always stretched and did exercises at home before riding a bike.  I could just jump on the bike after a year into recovery.  Whatever u do keep exercising....I made the mistake of stopping and had to work back up.

long road but I can say I am so happy now to be pain free.

pam

• Posted

It takes me a good 30 min to warm up with hot shower, massage, vit e oil on incision and then I can get to 90. I am 5 wks out but it is slow. Please everyone warm up, do all those comforting things to your leg and then work slowly. Do this 6_7 times per day! PT states slowly and consistently!
  • Posted

PT always took my measurement at the end of a session but warned me:  If 10 PTs/doc took your measurements, you'd get 10 different sets of numbers.  That's because it's only "eyeballed" and very subjective...plus it's only a stupid number.  Stop making that number rule your life on a daily basis.  You notice the biggest changes month to month not day to day since: 1. the improvements are gradual; and 2. they are NOT linear.  Took me until about 14 weeks to get to -1 / +123 from -14 / +84.  I got stuck at -4 for a lot of weeks.

The big thing is that you are DIFFERENT from everyone else out there!!!  Stop making comparisons and applying them to yourself.  No one knows how much scar tissue your DNA generates or how long it will take to clear it all out.  NO ONE!!!  All you can do is keep up the work because, yes, it does get better IN TIME!!!  You are not giving your knee the time it needs to heal and restore its ROM.  You are EXPECTING it to happen either overnight or on some mythical time schedule.  That just doesn't happen.  You put in the work and you get the results...but it takes time and you will never know in advance how much time it will take.

Deep breath...do the work...stay strong...let go of your expectations and that stupid number...  Of all the ops on the planet, this one teaches you patience...learn the lesson...

• Posted

Chico it's not the number that bothers me so much. I see my consultant next week and all I want to know is am I happy with the flexion I have now. If I end up with enough flexion where I can just get straight on my bike and pedal and be pain free I will be happy with that, but at the moment I can only do this after warming up and stretching for a length of time which isn't practical for me. so in time will I achieve this flexion without the warm up? If not and he suggests manipulation to improve flexion I might consider it  x

• Posted

It gets better over time...it just does.  I think you're beyond needing an MUA so what you have left is time and work.  Whether your consultant is happy or not is irrelevant.  Your body is different from anyone else's.  Accept it...keep up the good work.  Stay strong and focused.  Stop thinking "x" degrees by a certain date.  It all comes in time...really...  YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

• Posted

That’s positive to hear. I’m at almost 8 weeks in and at 75. I’ve not followed the normal path due to multiple operations but I am making progress slowly. I’m noticing that It’s just getting a little easier to do certain things. I know I still have a long way to go which is frustrating. I’m normally such an active person and this forced rest is difficult. 
    • Posted

Cheers Chico as long as it improves I'm happy with that, it's just painful to pedal on my bike  without warming up first. I'm getting to the point of starting back at work and my bike is my transport to get there and I won't have time to warm up before cycling to work. If it is a temporary thing I will live with it. I know I have improved a lot in the past few weeks, my knee doesn't swell up as much now although I still ice it after exercise. I've even got a Fitbit now to measure my steps.  I'm managing 8000 steps with no problems so I think I'm ready to start a phase return at work x

• Posted

Based on my personal experience it will improve over time. Stretching is something I still do but thats because i enjoy it, i.e. yoga.

I think it will get easier over time.

• Posted

MY ROM measurement is always at the PTs session so its right after an hour of working the knee with the PT. I dont ever measure it myself at home as 1) I don’t have the tool and 2) I really got riled of chasing a “number” . 
  • Posted

I'm 8 weeks out and at 90 only. Had set backs, toe joint implant and fall that broke my ribs. Dr saying if Rom doesn't improve in 2 weeks will be looking at manipulation under sedation. Anyone had that?

• Posted

My problem is just the opposite. I'm at ROM 5 and flex at.. 135.... but that is after theraphy. .y problem is getting it straight when I get up in the morning or after sitting for awhile. Still have a lot of pain at 11 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.