Another successful HoLEP procedure in Cambridge UK on Wednesday

Posted , 10 users are following.

I would just like to add another success story to that of Ifr33 at the beginning of this month (HoLEP Big Success two weeks on…). I had my HoLEP procedure carried out two days ago by Mr Tev Aho in Cambridge. After 15 years with a rising PSA (5.5 creeping up to 23) and three biopsies (all clear), a new doctor finally diagnosed BPH and put me on Tamsulosin last November but by then, I was also suffering from bladder spasms and life was getting miserable with an IPSS score of 28/35.

Looking at Patient.Info I was able to compare the many experiences shared and decided on HoLEP. It was also clear that experience in doing the procedure was a key facture for success and as it was not offered locally on the NHS and my not wishing to put up with my quality of life anymore I decided to go privately.

The Cambridge Urology Partnership seemed to have the most experience and Mr Aho in particular has carried out many hundreds of these operations over the past few years. I was one of three he performed on Wednesday, to be followed by another eight patients on Saturday!

I was in the Spire hospital Cambridge Lee for just over 24 hours, coming out (and walking back to the nearby hotel) Thursday afternoon with no pain whatsoever (excluding the removal of the catheter that morning!). It took a bit of time for my bladder to get going again but that seems ok now. Today we spent over three hours on trains from Cambridge, across London on the tube and down to the South Coast where we live with no pain, no spasms, and no urge for the toilet the whole way. I have antibiotics and anti inflammation tablets to be taken and optional pain relief which I now won’t bother with as I don’t seem to need it.

Everyone’s case is different but I can thoroughly recommend the HoLEP approach and Mr Aho and his team in particular.

3 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can anyone on this site give me a ballpark quote on what HoLEP would cost in a urology Centre such as Cambridge UK. My prostate is 150 grams I have avoided treament for so long but now I think it is time to deal with it. HolEP looks like the best option for a prostate my size. I am 68 years old.

Pete

• Posted

$30,000 at Mayo Phoenix, I think I might be paying 6,000 but worth it to be free of toilet time
    • Posted

I had HoLEP done in Mexico, Guadalajara at Uromin clinic, and have paid ?around 8000USD. It helped me. Before, I coudn't pee, and needed help ASAP. In Canada I would have to wait 2 month for TURP, 

?in Mexico, they fixed me right away. I have a list of doctors performing HoLEP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.