Another T K R

Posted , 5 users are following.

In April 2018 i had a total knee replacement.

I took it too far and ended up in a wheel chair it was the longest 6 months of my life waiting for the operation.

At the time it was noted i had osteoarthritis in my left knee and had a x ray February 2019 and was referred on to see a consultant which i had in April this year.

he looked at the x rays and said a follow up was needed towards the end of the year.

I went on the 12 Dec last Thursday and i have had more x rays he said i need a total knee replacement and has said the operation will be 12 February 2020 which is not too long to wait.

I do get some aches from my other T K R and he said i was putting more weight on it to compensate.

The same surgeon will doing the operation and i am satisfied with that.

So it looks like another few months of pain next year.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

COOLIEF (Cooled Radiofrequency Ablation) is a US FDA-approved procedure for people suffering from severe osteoarthritis in knees, hips, shoulders and elbows. It deadens the nerves around the joint that transmit the pain to the brain. It's a 15-minute procedure that's done under sedation. After the procedure, it could take a few weeks to have maximum effect. If it works (there are some people who got no relief), the pain could be gone for one to up to two years. Most people then repeat the procedure.

I had a TKR in March 2016 and will eventually need the other one done. Before that happens, I will ABSOLUTELY try this. Check their website for more information plus the location of a certified doc near you.

• Posted

Hi, I had my LTKR done in Jan. 18, although i was warned by the surgeon that it could take up to a year to heal properly , I still didn't expect how long it would take in the initial few weeks/months.... i thought , what have i done to myself by agreeing to this? But time does pass, even though, when in pain it seems like an eternity. I am now 4 weeks post op from my RTKR. I was sitting up in my hospital bed, after just having it done, leg heavily bandaged. The lady opposite said, 'why are you smiling ? ' I said ' because I can't tell you how pleased i am , that Ive had this done ! ' Now 4 weeks on, yes i have some pain & stiffness, but this time i am so much more calm & patient about it. It's the best thing. God bless my surgeon ! I wish you well with your next op, & i hope you feel as excited to have it done, as i did. PAIN FREE FUTURE !

• Posted

morning all

yes i agree i think once you can get your head to accept that this is a temporary pain and its going to get a bit better everyday until you feel normal and hopefully pain free.

I am 12 weeks post rtkr and i think that if i new by 12 weeks i would be on the mend i would have handled the first horrific weeks better (if that makes sense)

good luck to everyone starting out and please try to remain positive we can all get through this

Merry Christmas

• Posted

We'll be able to compare notes. I'm having my RTKR January 20th, 1 year after my left. Here's hoping we both have smooth recoveries. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes you will be slightly ahead of me.

This time it's my left knee so we are going opposite knees.

I still remember how painful it was.

This time like you we are doling it with some more knowledge of what to expect.

We will be able to exchange notes that would be great thing for us to do.

• Posted

Yes, I'm fully expecting to wonder what on earth made me do it again in those first few days (rather like having a baby!)

• Posted

Yes makes you wonder but at least after surgery it's just a matter of time and pain free.

I think if having babies was that painful the human race would cease to exist

• Posted

There's not a lot to choose between the two! It took me 6 months after my first baby to think I might go through it again. It was less than a week after the new knee..... maybe I was just unlucky with my first.

• Posted

well it took me 7 years between my babies so god knows when my left knee will ever get done lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.