Answers for Anxiety, Depression, Coping Skills from Cushing's Pre and Post Adrenalectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Did anyone deal with anxiety, depression, hopelessness, crying, poor coping skills. What helped? Will things get better after steroids? Was anyone given meds for these issues. How was your tapering process only physical symptoms any mental? How long did it for you to taper and get off? I was diagnose with Cushing's Jan 2019 for adrenal tumor major anxiety and emotional instability feelings suddenly among all the other issues we go through. I had the adrenalectomy and have been on steroids for over a year now on 15 mg a day. Its been an emotional roller coaster. Unfortunately now a Pituitary tumor Prolactinoma taking new meds started this year 2020. Cabergoline/Bromocriptine to shrink and reduce hormone levels prolactin and growth hormone. To top all that off menopausal with estrogen/progesterone and Hypothyroid. Basicially a hormonal mess and alot of that can cause mental health symptoms to include PTSD, which can occur. Days vary. Does anyone relate to this or have any advice with all of this? Hoping to hang in there while figuring out what is causing what symptoms, whats normal, and what I have to do for quality of life. Thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Melissa

Yes I can sympathise with you. I was a person of complete positivity an annoying polly-anna! 7 years ago I was diagnosed with pituitary disease and 2nd adrenal insufficiency it took 7 months to diagnose - I was on the floor feeling very, very ill.

I was finally prescribed hydrocortisone 10mg morning 5mg at lunchtime and 5mg late afternoon. Yes the steroids did make me feel better and take some of the symptoms away but the fatigue and low energy slumps are the worse for me, they can come on very quickly like when I am walking my dog, almost an instant drop to very low - lot of yawning etc.. Brain fog, lack of concentration, feeling low and occasional anxiety still plague me. I am a 53yrs old woman also going through the menopause with very low blood pressure.

I have tried many different healthy eating plans for energy even a £3,000 health farm for 10 days, yes I lost weight but I did not feel any different. I was seeing people come and go in a weekend or spend 5 days - all of which I witnessed leaving with increased vigour and skipping the light fantango! I was there for TEN days - no difference. I was very disappointed.

I am a Counsellor/Psychotherapist and am ware of how important mental well being is. Talking about your condition and sharing your experiences I feel is the biggest energy boost - to be heard and validated that you are NOT being a miserable mare or a moody person who has lost their focus and way - I felt was really helpful. It is so hard for my friends and family to understand me and my general doctor. Over the 7 years I have still been in and out of the doctors surgery with my energy levels and I really do think that there is something else lurking underneath - I can't quite understand why I should feel so awful a lot of the time. Recently I have had many more symptoms which are now being heard by another stand-in Endocrinologist whilst all this Covid-19 goes on. She actually called me yesterday to answer an email I sent to my usual endocrinologist who is off ill presently. She was fantastic and has arranged for me to go into hospital to have a blood test which she is getting tested for a whole load of deficiencies. So for me the battle of increased energy still remains.

BUT reading your story, I would recommend that you took maybe a step back and think about what it is you are anxious about? all of your health challenges may have brought up some other personal issues for you that you could think about talking and exploring with a counsellor? It will probably be one of the best monies you spend on yourself?

Good luck and keep me posted!

Lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.