Ant/Post repair, vaginal vault surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 70 yrs old, avid horse rider, carry heavy weights. To have surgery in 2 weeks. Fearful that the surgery will not hold. First, how hard is the recovery. Will I be able to take care of myself immediately? Has anyone had obiterative surgery instead

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You need help doing house work and cooking for a while and should have help but every one is different for getting around but the key to this surgery is resting and small baby steps lite walks after a few days and gradually add a bit more good luck and god bless
    • Posted

Hi Lynn

How are you doing with your recovery ? How long has it been now ?

Chris

• Posted

Hi Joel

For the first few days I was sore, buttock pain was awful even after strong painkillers, no comfortable position in bed, very tired, sleep a lot, can't seat, yellow discharge.

12 day's today I stopped taking painkillers, I still feel pain, but it's bearable, mostly lying and resting.

You need a help for few days for sure, but you never know how you feel, it might took longer.

Please read some threads, there are so many valuable information, true stories and concerns about surgeries, it's like a Bible, I read it for few days 😅😅😅.

Leaflets saids 6 weeks recovery, no chance, 12 weeks that's the minimum even if you feel great, it's still healing process, this is the type of surgery you can't see and many of us overdue things and prolapses comes back.

You mentioned about heavy lifting its a no no for the rest of your life, no straining, jumping etc.these things undo the repair. One of my friend had a bladder repair and she's jogging, another hysterectomy and she do the step classes, zumba, every kind of abs, which they not allow to (many gyn said that).

I asked physio what can I exercise, she said I can do high impact exercise, abs, running after 12 weeks so don't now who is right 🙄

If your doctor use a mesh in your surgery just read about it.

Pelvic floor exercises are the MUST.

Good luck xx

• Posted

I was told no high impact exercise at all after these repair s. The strain it puts on the weak healing tissues is emmence. Swimming,walking,cycling is best after if you want results.. Weights,running, is the worst for these issues before and after surgery.

Go with your gut,it's common sense at the end Off The day.x

• Posted

Yes, more relaxing exercises left, it's a shame nobody can fix us permanently 😅😅😅

• Posted

Yes lovely its a dam shame we can just recover and move along. It mentally chang as us.

It has made me more cautious then I already am. All we can do is look after ourselves and enjoy life x

• Posted

Hi Joel

I am  very fit 66 and had similar 6 months ago for the third time.

You will need to be resting horizontally for a several weeks with small walks around house as you can manage and then lots more rest. Try and avoid sitting or bending or even standing for very long. The recovery takes months  and months not weeks .  I am only now feeling stronger at the 6 month mark however still can’t stand for very long.

You won’t be able to go shopping  for at least  6 weeks so stock up on meals.

Putting the least amount of downward pressure for as long as possible is the key.

No more lifting or carrying ever. New strategies needed.

Bowel softeners are essential after you start eating. Ask for them if they are not provided .and pear juice.

If you are in hosp for 5 days as I was, a short cut lamb skin was heaven for the pain in lower back and butt.

You will be fine but remember you must devote time to give yourself great care for months.

Best wishes Joel

Peta

• Posted

5 days in hospital? What specific type surgery? Are u in U.S?
    • Posted

Joel I’m in Australia. Cysto recto and urethral sling this time. Cysto recto entero with mesh previously.
    • Posted

I will only be in overnite. I have to be able to feed dogs and horses by the 3rd day. Live by myself and help will leave then. Could u walk 60 ft and back without a lotta pain? I have no one to run errands for me. how lobg before u drove?
    • Posted

Hi hun

Did you first surgery fail hun?

I had my second anterior and tvh in January. I pray to God it holds up.

I just don't know why it failed. I'm slim and healthy but did have early natural menopause. I worry everyday it may fail😖 .

I had a new urogynacolgist this time who is a proff. Hope my body don't let me done. I'm 50 .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.