Antabuse

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've just been prescribed them by go yesterday have taken 2 so far but am still having withdrawals n craving

Is Antabuse suppose to stop this??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's quite an old fashioned treatment. Unfortunately it doesn't deal with withdrawal or cravings. All it does is give you a very serious and dangerous reaction when taken with even the smallest amount of alcohol. Paul Turner a professional on this forum will no doubt give you more accurate information. Just don't drink or you could easily end up in hospital.
  • Posted

No Anna, it does nothing to help craving. It is, as VickyLou, said, an old-fashioned treatment which I believe should be banned. It can be extremely dangerous to drink with Antabuse. I am surprised there are still some doctors prescribing them. It is supposed to work as a deterrant, by making you feel ill if you drink but I have very rarely known it work well for anybody. It is still dangerous to drink for up to a week after your last antabuse tablet so be aware of that.

I would try and get Nalmefene, if you can.

• Posted

Hi Anna.Antabuse is really old fashioned and should be banned !!!  It is a deterrent to stop you drinking alcohol-if you drink you will be very VERY ILL.
  • Posted

Hi Anna

Contrary to everyone else's opinion Antabuse probably saved my life and my marriage. I haven't had a drink for 13 years. For me it took away the obsessing about whether I should/could have a drink, I knew I couldn't full stop. However you need to be very very strong willed and really want to stop as it won't take away the cravings it will simply make you very very ill if you drink. For me that was the deterrent I needed and after a time, when I saw how good life could be I didn't want to drink. Now even the thought of drinking makes me feel quite sick!! Good luck

• Posted

I am pleased it worked for you Jo smile There are so many less risky options these days.
  • Posted

Hi Anna, unfortunately it does not help with withdrawals or ongoing cravings. Antabuse is only good as a deterrent to stop you drinking. If you drink at ALL you will suffer badly and end up in hospital BE VERY CAREFUL!!. I have been taking it for five months and it is a very strong deterrent indeed as drink = hospital or worse !. Twice I have mistakenly eaten food with alcohol in it and taken a very bad reaction. The smallest amount of alcohol will make you ill. Good luck !!
  • Posted

My GP prescribed this on Wednesday

Since then my alcohol worker (who is a holistic practice so don't prescribe meds) has had major concerns about it one because I'm not in a treatment plan n 2 because I'm not sure I can give up drinking even now I wanna go and buy some

My social worker has spoken to an alcohol treatment place who have told him I should stop taking the Antabuse and see them Monday as I had an anxiety attack around the fact I wanted a drink whilst with my alcohol worker today they think I will try n drink on antabuse

Now I'm at a loss as they made me an appt to see gp to get some anxiety meds but after explaining to her that unless i stop drinking the social worker will take my children away from me (she tried on Tuesday) and my mum has had to move in with me as apparently I prove to much of a risk to my children she agreed I should stay on Antabuse

Now in at a loss as to what to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.