Antabuse

Posted , 7 users are following.

l have been prescribed antebuse by my GP for my drinking as i just cannot stop on my own without help. l have so much shame over my drinking and how bad it is. lm high functioning but its getting harder to hide it as l am now able to drink 2 full bottles of wine. my question is - how tired will the antabuse make me? l really need to be able to work and do not want to be dozing off at the desk in work?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey Janie ๐Ÿ˜ƒ,

If you drink on"Antebuse", there is a chance it does nothing, but a much much higher probability you will become very ILL, likely vomiting up any Wine you forked out for. It is not designed to be used in conjunction with booze, it is designed to make the thought of drinking a negative choice to make. I do hope it works for you though. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ xx

• Posted

PS: Just read it can actually kill you if you take it we you're drunk (before makes you vomit it up as it comes it).

• Posted

Its not so much the thought of making drinking a negative choice, its designed to make you physically ill if taken with alcohol. In some cases people have actually died. Thats why it is such a dangerous and outdated drug. Some people have needed hospital admission after wearing perfume, due to the alcohol in perfume. Using mouthwash, unless alcohol free can cause a physical reaction. I ended up in hospital years ago after eating chicken in wine whilst taking disuluram.

There is an anti craving drug, campral (acamposate) which is far better.

• Posted

hi Janie, i used antebuse , or anti-booze as we used to call it, never had any side affects in relation to feeling tired, it takes the choice away from you, take it in the morning and you know you cannot drink for the day, well you can but you will not enjoy the results trust me, use it as it has been prescribed for you and you should be fine, best of luck with it, i am sure you will be fine, stay strong and remember many of us have been down this road, you are not alone, far from it -

• Posted

I have never taken any medication and cannot tell you if you might feel tired, but not drinking is CRUCIAL...very very dangerous. For certain. I also used to down in a day over weekends and eventually had to stop completely. You are on the right path and have made the right decision๐Ÿ˜„

• Posted

Antabuse is the most dangerous and antiquated medicine for anyone with an alcohol problem.

I am not a doctor, but have experienced the dangers of it

• Posted

Your lack or response is slightly concerning, unless that was the desire. I hope you took our advice and avoided drinking on top of your meds?

• Posted

I dont understand why, when asking for help or advice, people never usually bother to return to the forum with updates. In your post, you actually said you were concerned about no update from the person concerned.

For all we know, the initial person could be ill in hospital or worse. On the other hand hopefully, they are absolutely fine.

Makes me wonder why we bother, but then thats true for so many things these days. Oh well moan over, onwards and upwards!!

• Posted

She never ask about drinking while taking the meds or anything like that! she simply ask would it make her tired! why dont yall listen to whats said instead of projecting your inner fears!

• Edited

If you drink the slightest amount of alcohol whilst taking antabuse, dozing off at your desk at work will be the least of your worries. Youre far more likely to end up in hospital. Antabuse and alcohol are a lethal combination. You also need to have all the alcohol out of your body and system completely before taking it. Some people need 5/10 days, others 14 days.

• Edited

same. she did not in any way suggest she would take the meds then drink!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.