Antabuse help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I posted a few days ago about the use of Antabuse and other medications. I spoke to my GP about other medications but he is still wanting to prescribe Antabuse ?!?! I was happy using it ( for nearly three years ) but stopped it and had a drinkNOW my husband gives me it in the morning and makes sure it has gone ( this makes me feel so small and worthless) our marriage is really fragile and if I'm honest I'm only with home because I am scared not to be ( we have a daughter who is twelve ) the desire to drink is still there I just don't know what to do any more ?!? Controlled drinking ?!? Which he refuses to even talk about . Or other medications? Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Don't let anyone bully you Lesley, you should never be made to feel worthless, that's terrible.

I would be interested to know where you live because I don't think a doctor where I live would insist on prescribing Antabuse.  Perhaps because you said you were happy to use it for 3 years he thinks it would be the best solution.

Anyway, don't let anyone put you down, you are obviously a strong, intelligent person, stand your ground and do what is right for YOU.

I hope you get your answers, I feel sad for you.

Pat.xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying I live in the borders a small village in Scotland I thought Antabuse was the only thing I could take . Doctor never mentioned any other and wasn't until I had my last relapse and found this place I heard of others. The desire to drink is still there but I know if I drink whilst on Antabuse it could kill me . My mood is so down and feel like a prisoner in my own home I was happy but not if you know what I mean taking Antabuse just feel so confused and scared

• Posted

Oh bless you, I wish I could help more.  It sounds to me like you need help with more than your alcohol problems.  Have you told your doctor how down you are feeling?

Keep posting here because you will get so much help and advice.

Stay strong.

Pat xxx

• Posted

He's living in the dark ages. I honestly believe that Antabuse should be banned. So many doctors refuse to prescribe much safer drugs but are happy to prescribe Antabuse.

• Posted

This makes me so mad - just prescribe - waste of bloody time dotors in this situation.
  • Posted

Hi lesley, oh bless you lovey....it must be so hard for you...

MY GP refused to give me ANTABUSE...because I was highly likely to drink.....I felt like you an awful lot of the time....it is up to you what medication you take...you sound as though need antidepressants more than ANTABUSE.....it was dry for many, many years....it now have a drink a couple of times a week, and occasionally have a few too many....but I am fine most of the time....

You are an adult lovey, tell your husband and your GP...how YOU WISH TO BE TREATED....,, IT is horrible to be made to feel small and worthless....

You are NOT...A bad...weak....useless....out of control ,,,person....you are a wife and a mother who deserves respect.....have an honest talk with your GP please...please lovey....

MY heart goes out to you.....in my thoughts and sincere best wishes...,keep strong ..xxxxxxxx

• Posted

Thank you all . Yes I have more problems than alcohol. I have suffered and still suffering with an eating disorder depression to name but a few. I'm going to make another appointment with my GP who has treated me for years and I am honest with. I just never knew about other treatments as he never told me . In rehab they didn't tell me either 

• Posted

No because they don't know of the guys on here who know what they are talking about.  Stay on here and get your confidence levels back up where they belong.

• Posted

Hello Lesley, I have just read your message. I feel very very sorry for you. But please I beg of you to please think about your daughter she is 12, I lost my mother in (1975) I was just over 18. And my world ended. I then had no choice to look after my elderly Late Father who also was an alcholic, and heavy smoker/ You can get help out there. You are DEAD for ever, YOU Must get support. I know from my younger days with my late Mother. She had her life ahead of her. I am willing to hear from you . Please dont feel alone. But think also of your Daughter she needs a MUM and she adores you. I miss my mum. regards Amandah
  • Posted

lesley..it sounds like you are "trapped" in your marriage.

Most people that drink have an underlying cause for their drinking.

I do believe because i was in an abusive relationship for many years that ...that relationship was the reason my drinking escalated to a point of non control.

There aren't any family members you can stay with? To me...the problem with the relationship needs to be addressed...and then possibly the desire to escape via alcohol would be lessened.

My hope for you is that you can find a way out of this relationship, not only for you but for your 12 year old daughter. There is nothing that causes more damage to yourself and a child than being extremely unhappy and belittled in a relationship. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply . You are right about relationship with my husband. If I am totally honest I have not been happy for years . I feel that I should stay with him as he has put up with me with all my mental health problems ( alcoholism and eating disorder) where a lot of people will have left me. My drinking helped blot out my feelings of guilt for not loving him. Work helped as I loved my job and it was a great escape but recently changed jobs ( which I hate ) which has made me want to drink. Just feeling lost at the moment. I have a great family too but they have been through a lot with me ( mum and dad are in their seventies ) I'm living a day at a time but I know I can't drink because of the Antabuse .

• Posted

I wish you didn't feel like you had to stay with him. Do you think he may feel the same way? I mean it has to be obvoious that you are not happy?

I know in my X relationship of 22 years..it was obvious for the last 2 years espcially that anything we ever shared was over.

I had a really bad reaction drinking on Antabuse one time.

I waited 2 weeks (to the day)..that is the amount of time they tell you to wait if you are going to stop taking Antabuse to drink.

And I STILL had a very bad reaction because the Antabuse had built up so much in my system. I had to be hospitalized...I was hand cuffed to the bed because I was hallucinating...my blood pressure was sky high...it was a nightmare.

I'd tell my husband to take the Antabuse with me and see how much he likes that!

• Posted

Hi yes I also drank on Antabuse and was very ill ( sickness ). Yes it is obvious to both of us that we are unhappy . Husband runs away from problems and just now I'm frightened.  I have another appointment with go next week and will try again to change medication. I find Christmas very hard ( still ) since I stopped drinking. The desire to drink has lessened which is a good thing but I'm taking it a day at the time as I know how my feelings and mood can change. Thank you so much for your reply and advice. It means a lot x lesley 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.