Anterior and Posterior Repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am due to go in hospital next week for an Anterior and Posterior Repair.  I have been told by my consultant that I have a stage 2 bladder and a stage 3 bowel prolapse.

Please could anyone give me any general advice as to how the operation went and how they were after the operation and how long it was before they returned to work.

Thank you in advance.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

hi Hlbrook. If you go through these discussions there is actually a wealth of information in there. Personally I only had the posterior repair, but loads of lovely ladies have shared their experiences. Good luck

Sue

• Posted

Thank you Sue 76555 .  I have seen a rather long thread of discussons, however there seems to be a lot of people who are outside the UK who have had the operation done.
    • Posted

Hi, yes there are a lot of ladies from the States & Australia. They seem better informed than we are & have more follow up but their medical system is based on payment ( even Australia you pay a minimum from your salary, plus more if you want), so they are more litigation conscious & you get more for your money. Here in the UK not  everyone gets a follow up, it's postcode lottery as you know. Each time I revisit the site I read something new & wish I had paid more attention to certain things. But it's true you need to be kind to yourself in the beginning if you want long term results . It must be hard with the little one. Good luck. Sue
  • Posted

I had both done 6 weeks ago and I still need to take it slow. If I do too much I feel it. Right after the surgery I really didn't feel too bad, took my pain meds as directed and slept as much as I could. I could probably work right now as long as it wasn't a physical job.

I realized that reclining was better if I put a pillow under the top of my legs to tip my bottom off the seat, if that makes sense. The other thing I picked up from one of the discussions on this site, was to use a small stool under my feet to take the pressure off when having a BM. Be sure to take the stool softner. I never forgot it and I am still using it. 

I hope you have a good recovery, Just remember to take it easy.

• Posted

Thank you for the information and tips Kirsty 03485.  I hope you are recovering well and the operation has been successful. How long were you in hospital for and how was the whole procedure?

I am hoping to recover quickly as I want to return to work as soon as I can.  I have a desk job so nothing physical.  However I know from reading some other threads that people sound tired pretty easy.

• Posted

woops sorry you don't have a little one. Also take heed of the correct sitting positio for pooing. I didn't get that sorted till after my first bowel motion post op, which for posterior repair is your main problem. Look on line there are a couple of really good physio videos, I think I looked up pelvic excercises for posterior repair. One from the states & one from the UK. My post op discharge briefly mentioned it but I didn't read that properly till nearly a week post op. Also if you have a microwaveable bean bag it helps relax if you get pressure or spasm. I leant over the bed and slapped it on my but & it was wonderful. I didn't have bladder repair so no advice there. All the best.
  • Posted

HLBrook, I was in the hospital one night. When I was released, I spent the first few days in bed taking the pain meds and sleeping. For the first few weeks the most exercise I got was letting the dogs out and back in.

The tired feeling is what surprises me the most... I feel great, then all of a sudden I need a nap. That is happening a lot less over time. 

Overall it was a good experience, and I would do it again. I hope I don't have to, but I would.

• Posted

Kirsty03485, Thank you once again for your reply. It is nice to hear someone with a positive outlook on things.  I am going in with an open mind and that way I think things are not as bad as they seem.

Not looking forward to the general anesthetic but I don't think many people do.

I plan to take things easy when I come out and I will be able to rest as I have a very good husband and two teenage children who will be around to help me. 

Did you have much pain from either region when you came home and what meds were you given/  Did you attend physio or was it exercise at home.  Thank you once again for the advice. smile

• Posted

I am approaching 4 weeks post op of my anterior and posterior repair. All seems to be healing wel. Although I have had a couple of days where I have had a little bit of bleeding, this tends to be first thing on a morning after having a shower and getting dressed. Has anyone else encountered this?

I returned to work on Thursday last week for the first time. My GP has said it is fine for me to go back as long as I take things easy. I feel well but still suffer with tiredness around 3pm each day. 

• Posted

Hi I had both operations and endometriosis removed ( unbeknown at the time of the op) at the same time 5 weeks ago. 

The op went well and had very little idea of how I'd feel after. No matter what you think please remember you will feel better just do nothing for the first 2-3 weeks, no driving I was really uncomfortable even as a passenger - and still am a little. 

Sleeping was difficult when I came home - I couldn't lie flat so slept on the recliner in the front room for the first 4 nights, then got codeine prescribed from the gp. That was a godsend. I took that regularly for 2 weeks but it made me feel really sick so now am just taking paracetamol and ibroprofen regularly. 

Drink plenty it will help going to the loo but be prepared for "poo sweats" lol sorry but if you've had children you'll understand what I mean - that was definitely an experience. 

Just take it easy I'm still quiet fragile even though I think I'm not .. It's major surgery don't forget mine was laparoscopic but my consultant has been fantastic - I have her private email and phone number and she's been fantastic getting back to me, even on a Sunday evening. 

Im happy to answer anything if I can. 

Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you Jackie 65428 for your reply.  You sound as if if you have been through the mill with your operation.  I agree with you, I too did not realise how I would feel after the operation. I cannot believe how it is the tiredess that seems to take its toll more than the actual operation content.

Te problem with me is I am not used to doing noting and that is the difficult part that I am havng to overcome.

I am not due to see my consultant until the beginning of February so still a few weeks to wait before I see her.

Hope all keeps going well for you and once again thank you for the reply.

• Posted

I had both done 6 weeks ago. Had my follow up on Thursday and was told I can resume normal activity. I'm a stay at home mum so can't answer on return to work but I am starting to feel better. The first week all i did was make my 6yr olds lunch and get her ready for school, friends collected her and kept her until bedtime. My younger children stayed with family. The second week I had all my children home so got them ready for school and preschool and kept the baby on the floor. Only lifting to feed him and put him to sleep. My doctor had said I could do light housework after two weeks but to watch for bleeding, that's a sign that you've done too much. I'm finding now that if I do too much I can be a little tender but otherwise ok
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply Omic.  It sounds like you are heading in the right direction.  I do not see my consultant until the beginning of February so will have to wait a little bit longer to see what she has to say.  I have good days and not so good in the way of back ache more than anything.  Otherwise apart from overcoming the tiredness I think I am on the right road.

Hope all goes well for you and thank you once again for you reply.

• Posted

Hi!  I am now two weeks post op(s) and I live in Vancouver canada.  I had the posterior and anterior repairs done and 10 hours later went back into the operating room for a second surgery to stop the bleeding. Man of today, 12 days later, I am finally feeling some energies return.  The first 6 days following were very difficult because of all the drugs I was given plus the resultant constipation.  I was prescribed Dulcolax, one tablet, whose effects lasted a full 24 hours of horrible pain.  It did work and I experienced relief.  Since then, a sense of pulling where the stitches are and some minimal bleeding are the main results.  Fatigue is normal and hank fully I have a wonderful husband who is taking excellent care of me. I'm am quite sure,now that all this will be worth it because the symptoms that took me to surgery no longer exist. Maybe very good care of yourself afterward, no lifting, pulling, stretching, bending etc and hopefully you will heal well as I am beginning to do.  Best luck!
    • Posted

Sorry for spelling mix ups!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.