Anterior and Posterior Repair

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am due to go in hospital on the 26th may for Anterior and posterior repair,any help and advice on what to have for pain and have been advice to have a spinal anaesthetic ,feeling scared 

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just had AP repair May 10th. In my experience I had solid pain for about 5 days and since then has eased off.  At first I refused proper pain management, and that was a mistake. I was concerned with constipation, bur stool softner worked well.  Rest, rest ,rest, the first 2 weeks.  Don't hesitate to tell well meaning friends that "company".  For the first two weeks is too soon. I'll pray for you.  I was never offered spinal anesthesia, and very much doubt I would have agreed to it.  Matron is your best source of advice.  But all the women, I've talked to have been a big help as well.  Adherence to the restrictions and positive attitude is half the battle.   Hugsxxx
  • Posted

Hi, I had spinal and sedation could not remember anything, things to get in for when you are home

green tea wind ease for the trapped wind

movicol stool softener, you don't smell as much with this product and can get over the counter.

I found a water bottle small with a sucker on the top helpfull

paracetomol, ibru, codeine worked for my pain every 4 hours for two week, I am 5 weeks Tuesday and still take parocetomal and ibru.

i also got non centred andrex wipes, they are amazing keep you so clean after going to the toilet

femfresh non cented to wash.

and a few good books, I would recommend Kimberly chambers the Wronged.

if you keep in front of the pain it is more discomfort than pain

matron is the lady for advise on anything that worries you after the operation chic

take care and keep us updated love x💓

• Posted

Hi Christine

i had a posterior repair done just over 3 weeks ago in UK. I had a local anaesthetic as this is how the surgeon prefers to do it. I was very well looked after. Nurses sat and talked to me throughout. I went to theatre at 8am, back in day unit at 9, no catheter or drips, had to do 3 urine output and had a bladder scan to check was emptying ok and back home by 3pm. Surgeon very clear that although it was a local it is major surgery. 

• Posted

All the best. I am guessing they've recommended a spinal block as you aren't a good candidate for a general anaesthetic? I had full general for my anterior repair. I don't like being half paralysed with the spinal one, but cope ok with general.
  • Posted

Hi, Christine:  I, too, am giing in to have anterior and posterior surgery on July 19.  I live in the USA.  My doctor told me it will be a three hour surgery...Yikes....I am having general anesthetic....Can you tell me something...does your prolapse get really hard, and then soften up at times...this one is driving me crazy, especially when I have a bowel movement....Let me know how yours goes, and we will keep in touch...God Bless!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.