Anterior approach done 10/18, how am I doing?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 53 year old male.  I had the anterior approach hip replacement.  The first week out of the hospital I walked very little.  Just to the bathroom and did a little stretching in the recliner chair I’ve been living in.  I’m on day 12 post op and still have a good amount of discomfort.  I sleep ok, but lack motivation to walk a lot.  Yesterday I walked a lot more than usual, but still only about 10 minutes.  It wiped me out.  I also cut way back on my oxycodien (which helped the pain, but I was thinking was the culprit to my motivation).  I’m going to try to start stretching more today.  I just am wondering if I’m ever going to feel like I’m getting better.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Keith

I think it is quite usual to feel drained of energy after an operation like this. I felt very drained after having my hip revision at 76 earlier this year and six years ago when I had my total ankle replacement. I did not feel exhausted after my original hip replacement at age 56. Perhaps age plays a very large part.

Just take it at a pace that your body is comfortable with. Rest when you feel tired and then go on again. You will be fine.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hello Keith,

As much as you might not feel like you want to hear it, you need to walk. You need to get outdoors and fill your lungs on a regular basis with some good, fresh air. Even when you don't feel like it, you need to motivate yourself, because you need to do this in order to regain your life, and go for a walk. Exercise is not only good for the strengthening of the muscles that support the hip but, it releases endorphins into your system which make you feel good and the added benefit of raising your pain threshold. You'll get through this and I guarantee you, you'll feel much better for it. Best of luck to you,  Cormac

• Posted

I appreciate this comment.  I know I do.  I’m in a stage where I feel like there is something wrong with my surgery because it hurts.  But, I’m sure I’m most likely fine, just need to get on my rehab.  This certainly is no picnic.  I’ve had several friends get new hips and they all said the same thing.  You’ll never regret your decision.  I just never really thought much about the healing.  I thought more of it just being fixed.  Thanks again.

Keith

• Posted

You're right, it does hurt. I'm a little over 3 1/2 months now and it still hurts on occasion. So, the pain is normal. That's not to say that there may not be a problem causing the pain...I don't know. You should have or should be close to seeing the doctor and having them check everything and remove the bandage. If this has already happened, did you mention your pain and concerns to him/her? You'll be amazed at how quickly the time goes and in no time, hopefully you'll just be looking back at this and realize that it was just the healing process. Hang in there!

• Posted

Dear Keith

I've just re-read your post and am struck by the fact that you do not really mention anything about exercises apart from doing a little stretching. That's really not doing you any favors.

Keith you really do need to get stuck into doing them. I spent a significant part of every day starting whilst still in hospital doing them. It's B boring but not half as boring as being stuck in your reclining chair. It really is down to you to get your recovery under way<BG>

Good luck Keith.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hello! I am wondering if you are doing PT? I’ve had stretching  & strengthening exercises to do since coming home from the hospital.

• Posted

I was not religious with them, but plan on pushing myself harder now.  I think I’ve got a better mind set on what I need to do now.
  • Posted

Keith:

I'm 63 and just finished my second anterior thr within a year. I will be 4 weeks on November 4. Yes, motivate your self. Good move on the opioids. Ibuprofen can work just as well at this point.

Move. Then listen to your body. Stop. Use ice frequently. Keep the inflammation down. Each day should be an improvement. However, it may be one step forward, 2 steps back. But,that's part of the recovery process. I look forward to my home PTs that have been prescribed each day because I feel so much better afterwards. I ice to treat myself.

Motivate yourself,. Keep and develop a positive mental mindset. remember you'll have a much better quality of life after your full recovery. What ya' gonna do to celebrate? What new physical goals have you set for yourself? Think of the future.

Have a nice day,

• Posted

It takes a while. Every week you will feel a bit better. Walk around the house and a little outside do your exercises and rest when you feel the need. When you hit the 6 week mark you will notice a huge improvement. Stay tough 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.