Anterior/Cystocele & Poster/Rectocele repair & Sacral COLPOPEXY & Suburethral Sling

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had surgery for 

Anterior/Cystocele & Poster/Rectocele repair & Sacral COLPOPEXY & Suburethral Sling 

September 27th (4weeks ago). 

My doctor didn’t tell me I need to take off work because I am a teacher and have the ability to sit a lot. 

However, I was hurting so bad, I did end up taking a week off. However, now I am wondering if I should have taken more. I was hurting so bad before the surgery that I didn’t ask questions, I just wanted relief. Now I wish I had. 

Also during this time, my mother got really sick and had to move to a care center by me. While I didn’t lift anything really heavy, I think I might have lifted and done too much. 

I can’t tell if these are normal symptoms or that I did too much. 

If anyone could tell me their take on this and whether I should wait until my 8 week appointment or say something to the doc. 

Thanks so much in advance. 

Symptoms

Lower back pain

pelvic full feeling

pressure in vagina (if I Push on it or hold my hand between my legs to support it, then it feels better)

feel like i have to pee all the time

One more question (personal, sorry) I am scared to have sex at 6 weeks, but my husband is so looking forward to it. 

Thanks again

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ohhhhh gosh, my tooshy hurts just reading what you had done! Most have to have 6-8wks completely off work, the latter of 8wks being more often. I'm guessing they won't be able to tell what's healed well until post-op check. Forget sex until given the all clear by Surgeon. Not many achieve it at 6wks after all you've had done. Make sure you've got a good lube to use. But seriously, I think more likely around 12wks. Owwwww. You're SO brave to have been working. Your medical carers need a good dressing down for not instructing you appropriately for your recovery. Go to Genitourinary homepage. Then useful Resources and scroll down to South Tees article, for post-op advice. 

• Posted

I think you need to take time off work and rest. You should have been told to take at least 6 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Skallas, you needed more than a week off work. Sitting just increases the pressure on all your lady bits, better to alternate between lying down and short walks than sitting for hours in one position. Please, please stop and give your body time to heal or you will risk undoing all the work that has been done. I am not quite 2 weeks post op and I know that I am doing more than I should but I am definitely not back at work yet, doing heavy chores  or rushing to have full intercourse at 6 weeks....... We will have to find more creative ways to be intimate and pleasure one another before anything is going near my stitches! Please take care of yourself X 
  • Posted

Hi Skallas, you needed more than a week off work. Sitting just increases the pressure on all your lady bits, better to alternate between lying down and short walks than sitting for hours in one position. Please, please stop and give your body time to heal or you will risk undoing all the work that has been done. I am not quite 2 weeks post op and I know that I am doing more than I should but I am definitely not back at work yet, doing heavy chores  or rushing to have full intercourse at 6 weeks....... We will have to find more creative ways to be intimate and pleasure one another before anything is going near my stitches! Please take care of yourself X 
  • Posted

Oh my goodness I cant believe that your doctor has not put you off work for at least 6 weeks. Im now 14 months after my op and if I overdo it I still feel it. Its a slow healing process and no heavy lifting going forward. It takes months and months to come right. Is it worth it ?..... A HUGE YES.... But you can stuff up all the surgeon has done by not resting and allowing your body time to heal from this major operation. I think its dreadful you have been not looked after properly. As for sex no way not for months and then take it easy. Good luck and take good care of yourself 
  • Posted

Thank you so much for all your responses, it makes me feel so validated. 

I didn’t realize that sitting would cause so many problems, no wonder I go home everyday feeling so bad. I am probably defending or justifying myself, but I have always been the “care taker” in my family and the last 6 months I have been literally taking care of my dying brother that had been taking care of my mom. My brother passed in August and we thought my mom was going to be ok with home health so I scheduled my surgery. I think I thought that it was just one more thing I will “take care of” and go on. I guess it is just an example of how I don’t take care of me first. I will lay around more and let others “take care of” things. I sure wish I would have found this site before I had surgery. There just doesn’t seem to be a lot of resources around about what we have had done.

Do you think I should call the doctor and tell him I think I have done too much and ask if he will put me off work? 

Thank you again ladies, I greatly appreciate it. 

• Posted

Hi again and yes you need the time off to recover so call that doctor. No way be at work so soon 

• Posted

Hi

im a teacher too. I’ve just had cystocele repair and hysterectomy. The surgeon has suggested that I’ve probably had endometriosis too, which would explain other (ignored) symptoms.

When I asked my excellent surgeon how much time to have off, his response was ‘I know your job, 12 weeks, then a phased return’. Longer than most suggest but teaching is not a job in which you can take it easy.

I sympathise entirely with being the care provider and neglecting yourself. I have been supporting a family member through cancer treatment and have long ignored all the problems I’ve been having. This has been a wake up call for me. I hope you can start putting yourself first. There is only so much we can take, before our bodies say enough! All the best, and get yourself properly signed off.

best wishes

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.