Anterior drawer test with clunk, always positive result?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was examined by a podiatrist after an ankle sprain-type of an accident.

I have doubt that his examination wasn´t fully reliable.

He made this test which I think was similar or very close to anterior drawer test for ATFL (his pulling may have been more plantar- than anterior-directed):

I was lying on my back with my ankles and feet outside the plinth, then he grabbed my calcaneus and pulled gently (ankle with sprain-like accident). I said out loud to him: why do I feel a clunk? I didn´t feel the same clunk/gap when he pulled the calcaneus of the un-injured leg. He answered me that "it´s good that there´s space there". And he didn´t diagnose anything assuming ATFL-injury or joint laxity.

Is it possible for the patient to feel a clear clunk-feeling with anterior drawer test, but still have a negative test result with no excessive joint laxity?

Really sadly, there could have been a motive for the podiatrist to neglect diagnosing a possible injury (long story to describe).

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

"calcaneus of the un-injured leg" should be "leg with no accident"....

• Posted

so even if he misdiagnosed,,, you may have joint laxity but doesnt affect your function and doesnt make any pain or problem,, so it depends on your symptoms and your feelings,,, what are your complaints or symptoms? did this laxity affect your activity or produce pain?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.