Anterior or Posterior

Posted , 20 users are following.

The consensus is...my hip is shot!  I've consulted with two surgeons.  The first feels VERY strongly that anterior is the way to go.  The second?  You guessed it!   He is just as adamant that posterior is the only way.  I'm totally confused and wanting to make a decision before I'm in even more pain ( if that's even possible).  What has been everyone's experience?  Thanks!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was bothered when I found my surgeon did posterior but I have to say once it was done I was just glad it was over. The restrictions are manageable. I'd go with whoever can do it soonest

• Posted

My surgeon told me going through the front sometimes leaves a numbness in the thigh. Patients complain that it feels strange when their clothing touches the area. I had my right hip replaced 11 days ago. I woke pain free except for the 12" incision. I walked with the walker for 4 days. I've been using my cane. Normal stride with no limping and only muscle soreness.

• Posted

Hi Tanker, the numbness problem was one of the reasons I wanted posterior not anterior. I had lateral posterior with no restrictions after the op. They said I could touch my toes if I wanted to. With the posterior approach the surgeon has more room to manoeuvre so there is less chance of damage to nerves, tendons etc. was my thinking. 
  • Posted

My anterior was fantastic....home same day walked 5 miles total (1 mile at a time next day), could have been back at work (desk job) day 2. No narcotics, some stiffness, almost no pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.