Anterior? Posterior? Lateral?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have found on the internet a picture of these three different cuts for hip replacement. I am going to attach it here because I had no idea of what these different incisions really were and it might help other people.

I had a posterior cut and it has healed fast, no swelling, no problem with the muscles on my behind...

Happy long weekend to all of you! (Long if you live in the UK)

Ella 

5 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had posterior both times and whilst I haven't seen the scar from number 2 yet (6 days post op today) it certainly feels smooth enough under the dressing and hubby says the dressing is clean and dry so no weeping from it (I hope!).

It appears that posterior is the op of choice by surgeons here in the UK and when I mentioned anterior to mine he quickly dismissed it (he's a very experienced and successful surgeon) so I left it at that. He is the expert and if he gets 98% success from the technique he prefers then I am not going to question his choice.

I think anterior will become more popular as more surgeons get experienced in this technique but one thing he did say about anterior was that it could only really be carried out with complete success at the moment on people with very slim legs so that would count me out straight away.

Ali x

• Posted

I agree with you, I had no idea going in about any of the options, Posterior, Lateral or Anterior, I didn't even ask, whatever the surgeon wanted to do, I am not one to question, he is the one with the knife, not me. I woke up and I had a scar on the side of my hip.
    • Posted

Hi Ali,

The firsr time you see your scar it's quite scarysurprisedbut a fter a few weeks you get used to it, and it fades quite fast. I have used bio-oil on mine and now I don't even realize it's there!

I agree with you...we have to go along  with the sureon's choice.

Best wishes

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Jody-France,

I didn't ask either...as long as the operation is a success, I don't mind where the cut is!

• Posted

Hi briskwalk,

It is quite a shock seeing it for the first time but like you say it soon fades and I used bio oil on my first hip scar too which helped no end. I have a new supply ready for when this dressing comes off, it's marvellous stuff! I'm not really aware of the scar off my first hip op either but it was 6 months ago.

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for the pic, I hade Lateral then.
    • Posted

You are welcome...It's good to know what the surgeon has done!

Best wishes

Ella 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.