Anterior Repair and Air Travel

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am due for anterior repair surgery with possible uterus removal in the next few weeks. I have a 3.5 hour flight booked 7 weeks post surgery. My Consultant is happy for me to travel as long as I wear support stockings for potential DVT. I had a posterior repair just over a year ago and was back at work 6 weeks later. So my question is: does the anterior operation have a longer recovery time and potential more problems?

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

I believe that Anterior is less debilitating than posterior repair but if you also are having hysterectomy it’s still a long recovery. Are you planning to travel with a companion. You should not be lifting the weight of a suitcase.

It sounds like your re overt was very good.

However, every surgery is unique.

31/2 hrs is quite a long time. I am 12 weeks post op for anterior posterior and perineoplasty and I just about feel I could sit on a plane now. I couldn’t have done at 9 weeks.

Find a soft cushion you can sit on. Have analgesics available but to be honest I would wait and see how you are before you commit to flying. Will you be comfortable on arrival and have what you need?  Do you have insurance.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery 😊

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I will be travelling with my husband with hand luggage which he will carry. Unfortunately my surgery was put back a few weeks hence the tight schedule. The flight has been booked for a while. We are staying with friends so I will be relaxing in the sun and resting. 

Of course if there are complications I will not travel. I have insurance.

Thanks

• Posted

Great Sue. If you have your husband with you and can manage the flight then with good friends you can relax. Sounds like a perfect convalescence to me. All the best 
  • Posted

I had the anterior repair and hysterectomy operation in 2016 and then the posterior op in 2017. 

Both ops were straight forward with no after pain or infection and I recovered really well and quickly.  The first op was the more major one obvs due to the hysterectomy and I suppose there is the possibility of more complications  but I went on holiday at 10 weeks and was swimming and having intercourse again by then.  It was like a second honeymoon and I felt really well. 

The worst part of my first op was the trapped wind during the first week and slightly swollen tender belly. But after 4 weeks or so that had all subsided. 

Good luck and happy holidays. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for your positive reply. I’m so glad all has turned out ok for you. I know all Surgery is unique but I’m hoping for a quick and successful recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.