Anterior repair op in april without mesh... what to expect/?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone.. I have my bladder prolpase op coming up soon and i was hoping fo some positive news from anyone who has had this op done. I have no leakage, just this horrible egg at the opening of the vagina. I believe m urogyna will use stitches to repair this? mymain question is how uch pain will i be in and is it like after you feel when given birth? will i be able to walk around the house, etc jus for a bit of exercise or are'nt i allowed to even do that? I intend to rest and do as im told but dont now what i can and cant do. I have a appointment prior surgeryin april as im going private at the spire. had exprience with NHS when i had my galbladder out so never again will i risk gettng infection from dirty, toilets etc. i was an eye opener to me.Thans girls for reay my worries. I look forward to some news to calm my nerves.xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had same operation six weeks ago now. Anterior repair through vaginal wall with just sutures to repair and no mesh etc. One night in hospital, was allowed home following catheter and vaginal pack removal (this was the worst part of the whole experience so far). Lucky to have husband who is retired at home who took over all household chores for me and still doing heavier jobs like hoovering etc. Went for short walks for the first few days pottered around house, lots of rest. Had to be seen at emergency clinic new years eve as very uncomfortable down there and was told it was just wound healing and was given Oestrogen cream to insert. Has taken around five weeks to start saying I feel more like myself so am getting there. Will have had twelve weeks off of work when I go back so will be a shock to the system. Ask anything else you want.
    • Posted

thankyou barbara.. you said the pack and catherer was th worst.. this is the fear i have. thought of drains and tubes makes me feel sick. i had a drain when ha gallbladder out, i was terrible, not painful but the thought made me feel i wanted to step out of mself. phobia when i was a child . saw my grandfather in hospital and has scared me ever since.x
  • Posted

Hello. Pain is difficult to predict and often depends on your pain threshold but it won't be as painful as a rectocele repair. Of course you'll be able to walk around the house taking things gradually but no lifting of course not even a kettle full of water in the first 2 weeks. Check with the surgeon whether you can have baths or will it be showers for the first 6 weeks. You have an excellent surgeon so do exactly as he says.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron, as you can feel by my post im nervous. having the top surgeon makes me feel better. Do you know anyone that has heard of him? He is a very lovely man, brillant bedside manner ive heard.x
    • Posted

I asked a Urogynaecologist I know a while ago when I was asked via a personal message. He has an excellent reputation, has written high profile articles for medical literature and regularly hosts conferences. If I lived in your area he would be my first choice.
  • Posted

I think I may have already said, but my experience was WAY better than I expected.  I'd read up online about all the bad experiences everyone had  and expected the worst!  I had a hysterectomy and anterior repair and no, it was nothing like having given birth!  I was able to have little walks around (I don't have stairs, so that may have helped) from the start and made sure I didn't sit for too long on the sofa, getting up every hour or so for a little walk to the kitchen or something like that.  I didn't lift anything at all initially and gradually increased the lifting.  I did get a bladder infection, but as soon as the antibiotics kicked in that was fine.  I wasn't tired and didn't need to nap during the day as they suggest.  I was pleasantly surprised with the catheter.  I didn't even feel it in and when they said they'd come to take it out it was so easy and no problems at all.  The catheter has a balloon in, so once it's in the bladder they inflate the balloon and it holds it in place very comfortably.  I had my op at 5 pm and they took out the catheter the next morning.  I didn't have any packing in the vagina.  So I hope it all goes well for you and you're soon reporting that it's done and was a good experience:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.