Anterior tendon surgery..will get boot..will I be able to drive with right foot

Posted , 5 users are following.

I get my cast off in 2 days. Been nwb for 6 weeks. I think I will get a boot. Since it's my right ankle will I be able to drive. I need to get back to work.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds pretty unlikely as you wont be able to flex your throttle right foot. I was ok to drive an automatic with my left foot in a boot.
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. You are probably right. I called and asked the nurse. She said I shouldn't drive with a boot. I imagine the Dr will say the same thing on Thursday unless she opts for some other treatment.
  • Posted

I tried driving a bit with my right foot in a boot. Using throttle wasn't the problem, switching to the brake pedal was the problem. That was one of the reasons for me getting rid of my boot early, I was driving my wife crazy with my back seat driving. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. I got my boot today and...no kidding...you can't drive. Right now I can't walk very well but my ankle is definitely loosening up. Start physical therapy on Tuesday. Geez the good is so much heavier than the cast.
    • Posted

The other boot benefitr is you can take it off and give you foot a good wash and scratch :-)    Good luck

• Posted

I had anterior tibial tendon surgery Oct 21 (4 weeks ago) my right ankke also. I got a boot and was nwb for 24 hours.  I got my stitches out on Nov 10 (3 weeks post surgery) and he said I could bike and wear "reasonable" shoes,  I can't run or swim or walk barefoot till my next Apt on Dec 8th when he'll give me new guidelines. So I had the boot off from that Nov 10th afternoon apt until Nov 11th evening (I wore a running shoe durning that time).   WHOLLY CRAP ..my ankle/foot swelled up gigantic!  I called Doc, they said ice and elevate... that didn't work so I put the boot back on...I thought 3 weeks was way to early to go bootless.  I've since wore my boot 24/7 except when in shower (i wear a trail running sandal shoe).  I ice every evening a few times and my ankle/foot has no swelling.   I'm not in a hurry to get back to training...My main consern is to compete like I always have.  About driving..... After MRI I was put in a boot prior to surgery it was smaller than the one i got after surgery and i could drive.  I didn't drive until 8 days post surgery and I use the smaller boot to drive. When I get to my destination I sit in my car with door open and put my bigger boot on. Pain in the butt, but I don't have to rely on someone getting me here and there.  Driving in boot does not flex my foot...
    • Posted

Just had my 1st physical therapy appointment today. I got my boot on Thursday and walked in the office today. He was very surprised. I've made progress quickly. The physical therapist said is was because I kept my foot elevated the entire time (all 6 weeks when nwb). I have had minimal swelling. And even though I'm in the boot I still elevate my ankle as much as possible. I sit in a big chair & through my leg over the chair arm. When standing...as soon as I feel pressure in my foot, I elevate it.. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.