ANTERIOR VAGINAL REPAIR

Posted , 7 users are following.

After using various vaginal pessaries to help support my bladder, the doctor has said that since they keep falling out, it is now time to consider having the operation. He talks about it being very simple, but obviously having read so many different stories here, I want to be absolutely sure what is going to happen and how the recovery is going to be. The doctor hasn't said anything else will need to be dealt with, but if once on the operating table, they find something else needs to be done, is that likely to happen. I know that many people have far more severe problems, and in theory mine is simple, but obviously I am worried, so all the help and advice you can give would be really welcome. Many thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun

I am 14 wks tvh and anterior repair and for me it was very straightforward.

It is major surgery non of the less and you will need 6 wks if rest and not much else as your repair needs rest to take hold and be successful.. I'm not sure your job but if it's physically challenging you will need may be 8/12 wks off.

When you sign the form before going down to theatre you will know what your having.. If you just sign for anterior repair he won't do anything else other than what you sign for.

If I had to go through this op again pain wise it was very very minimal,actually I had no pain at all and never took painkillers, I did take paracetamol the day of surgery then nothing.. It was really straightforward for me with no issues at all hun. Please speak to you consultant about everything so your informed and know everything what he is going to do. Don't worry about it hun it really was fine for me.. I did worry a lot about the catheter in bladder but that was totally painless when it was in and when they took it out? good lyckxxx

• Posted

I agree with the other reply. You have to pace yourself & remember this is a major op. It is so easy to overdo things.

I am 8 weeks post op & back to walking the dog 3 times a day. I do get tired but have a nap if I want one.

My Consultant says the only gym exercise until the 12th week is the cross trainer & walking on the treadmill at a slight incline. I have decided just to walk the dog!

I had large enterocele & rectocele repair. Everything went well, the pain was minimal but I did take the painkillers they prescribed.

The catheter was not a problem. BM's were easy as was emptying my bladder after the catheter was removed.

I would suggest you write down any questions you have before you see the Consultant as it is easy to forget.

Best wishes

Jennie

• Posted

Hi. I'm 2 weeks post anterior and posterior repair. I have had issues with my bladder and had a catheter inserted x 3 and was sent home with it for 1 week. Since starting antibiotics yesterday I've been peeing better and have been more comfortable. I guess introducing a foreign body into my bladder that many times also introduced germs! I get an ache in my pelvis if I'm on my feet too long and I haven't walked too far just yet. Everyone's experiences are different and like the other ladies have said it's major surgery so you need to have adequate rest and recuperation time. Good luck 😉

• Posted

Really glad to hear you have got on top of things now Kym

Wishing you a great recovery

Peta

• Posted

Thanks Peta

Still not back to peeing normally ... but getting there xox

• Posted

Hi, I went into hospital in March 2017 to have what I thought to be an

anterior repair. When signing the pre-op form it was made clear that

other procedures would be carried out if considered to be in my

best interest. As a result I had an anterior, posterior  repair and

vaginal hysterectomy.  I’ve had no bladder or bowel problems so far

(I didn’t have before, just a ‘sizeable bulge’ that had been present

for some while but had only become a problem in recent times)

I get some dull abdominal ache if I’ve standing too long but on

the whole haven’t had problems. Now fourteen months further on

I have to remind myself not to carry heavy things and treat the ‘repairs’

with ‘respect’  and long may they hold up.....

Wishing you well for the future 😘😘

• Posted

thank you for this information everyone. I had a feeling that the consent form would say something about if needed, further surgery would take place and that I would have to be very precise what I wanted done if I only wanted the minimum. But to be honest, I don't want to have another operation, so we will see when the actual time comes. Haven't heard from the hospital when the operation is likely to take place, as have only just been put on the waiting list. Do know it will have to be within four months if the hospital isn't to be penalised. Anyway, thanks everyone. I will try and remember to rest as much as possible as that piece of advice has come through loud and clear.

thanks again.

• Posted

Ive always gone into surgery knowing what I'm signing for. I think only when it's emergency surgery you don't get to sign of know what's what obviously. Elective surgeries we know before hand thereby experience.x

• Posted

I'm scheduled to have hysterectomy with anterior repair in July I am trying to find success post just for that and the effects it has on your sex life after and I am not having any luck if anyone out here has had that and would be willing to share information with me I would appreciate it so much

• Posted

Hi hun

I had tvh and anterior repair in January.

I had very little pain from any of it.

I had a few cramps for a few days but nothing else.

I took movicol to have easy bowels and my bladder returned to normal after a few days.

I did nothing for 6 weeks,rest and small walks round the house and out in car.

No lifting for 8 weeks and no straining on loo ever!!

I have no pain around surgical site but do feel like I have something stuck inside sometimes but I guess it's the new me. I haven't had sex yet so can't tell you about that but do know to always use a natural lube to avoid any pain. Coconut oil is very soothing but also yes which you can get of gp. It's all natural and organic. The first 12" wks are crucial for replrolapse so remember to avoid any lifting and take it easy as the healing tissues are very weak. I started pelv I floor exercise after 4 weeks and do them for life!

Good luck lovely x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.