ANTI ANXIETY MEDICATION IN GLAUCOMA PATIENTS

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello I am trying to find out which anti anxiety tablets are safe for patients with glaucoma.

I have read that a lot are not suitable for different types of glaucoma and can raise pressures in open angle glaucoma the common type. Anyone help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I take Klonopin as needed for anxiety and my dr says its totally fine.

• Posted

Hello I just looked up Klonopin and it states under precautions tell your docotor if you have narrow angle glaucoma I am assuming you have the common type of glaucoma open angle. Yes you are right the doctor will tell you its ok it those with narrow angle that are affected. All anti anxiety tablets seem to be the same with a warning on narrow angle. I reluctantly went on Buspirone another anti anxiety tablet being told it was safe. The only thing that are a problem are steroids although not everyone is affected. A few years ago I had to take a steroid inhaler after being on it for a few months I had my glaucoma check up and both eyes were found to have a pressure of 26. Was asked to go back in 6 weeks treatment was not changed at this stage which was Azopt 1 drop twice aday left eye only. When I got home I put two and two together told my gp that I was discontinuing the steroid inhalers at the 6 week check pressure were back to 19/20 both eyes. So stayed on left eye only dose of Azopt. Because of Covid not been able to see anyone actually two 6month appointments went by cant be helped but a bit concerned about it. Finally went yesterday both eyes pressure 25 The Doctor said if the Adopt was working then she would expect only the untreated eye to have a rise in pressure but both were the same meaning either the azopt was not working or something was affecting both eyes. Have to go back in 6 weeks to check pressures I have now been given Lantanopost 1 drop at night both eyes. This may well be the case that azopt isnt working anymore and the doctor yesterday said the anti anxiety tablets were ok only affecting narrow angle. I however am not completely sure it is a coincidence that this happened after taking them for a couple of months am going to speak to my GP about it. I have had bad anxiety and pain from digestive problems not had a good time but maybe I should come off them just in case. Hope you are ok and doing well on the tablets and your eyes of course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.