Anti biotics and lichen sclerosus

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been prescribed some antibiotics for tonsillitis, have only taken 2 days worth and I've had a bad flare up after been symptom free for months. Has anyone else experienced this and should I stop taking them?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing happen to me after taking a medication. Doctors tell us to take all antibiotics until they are finished otherwise the infection gets worse. No way to win. Our bodies are weird and since LS is an autoimmune disease, I guess it reacts to antibiotics in a way that acts up our disease. I can't offer a suggestion, other than to back to your doctor. Sorry. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Octopus, I have decided to stop the anti biotics and go back to docs on Monday morning. (Typical that it flares up on a weekend) . My flare up is worse than ive had in a long time with red spots and soreness around the clitoris area.. I have read that penicillin etc can effect vulnerable parts of the body which the vulva is for us with LS and I have also developed a cold sore which again I haven't had one for years. Maybe my GP will be able to offer a solution and my tonsillitis won't come back..

Thanks again - Jo

• Posted

Yes. I have known antibiotics to cause soreness in the vaginal area. I have LS all over my body so I break out in itchy blisters. It's like my body is fighting a war with me. This has caused lack of sleep, depression and all sorts of other complications. I have to take prednisone to get rid of blisters and that drug puts weight on me and gives me splitting headaches. Can't win. Sorry for your illness. I know how bad tonsillitis can be. Had my tonsils out years ago. Warm hugs.

• Posted

Oh bless you, you poor thing.I can't imagine how painful as well as frustrating it is for you.. i'm quite lucky as it is only in my vulva area and it stays in remission most of the time with only maintainance needed a couple of times a week.. I'm straight on top of it if I feel sore or an itch but generally am fine.well it's the worst of the 2 evils then tonsillitis or LS flare.. Thank you for your kind words and wish you well in trying to get things under control love Jo

• Posted

My doctor always prescribes me an oral yeast infection pill along with antibiotics, because they always cause me to have a yeast infection which then in turn causes my LS to flare up.  I would recommend not stopping the antibiotics, but rather asking your doctor for an oral yeast infection treatment instead (like diflucan) that you can take in conjunction with the antibiotics.  I would not recommend stopping the antibiotics without talking to your doctor first.  Antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria have been mostly attributed to people not finishing their full course of antibiotics.
    • Posted

Hi Viv, thank you for that.. Ok I will take them today and get in with the doctor tomorrow morning. I didn't realise that there was something that would counteract it. I've been in such a quandary about what to do..

Thanks again

Jo

• Posted

I have experienced the opposite - while having a flare up and at the same time a bladder infection.  With the anti biotics both the bladder infection and the LS flare up were stopped.  No explanation. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.