Anti biotics and VSL3

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have had colitis for nearly 20 years, it isn't fun. I have a pouch for nearly 10 years. It had never functioned properly. I was on the forum a few month ago asking for info regarding g going back to a stoma. After lots of faffing about my surgeon agreed to the surgery if I tried one last thing. I saw the Gastro team who put me on high doses of metronidazole and ciprofloxacin. To be followed by a course of VSL3, 4 sachets per day. The antibiotics made me feel dreadful and when it came to the VSL, I couldn't find it anywhere. Has anyone else been able to locate a supply. I think there has been manufacturing issue. Has VSL worked for anyone. Do you have to take it on a permanent basis. I have only been able to locate small amounts so haven't really been able to fulfill the second part of my treatment. The other option was permanent anti biotic treatment for chronic relapsing pouches. Has any one done this. I have to say I am very anxious about that prospect, incantation be good to become resistant to antibiotic treatment. Maybe I am misunderstanding. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. I am seeing the Gastro team on tuesday. I want to sleep at night and not have anymore piano. I am not sure what they are offering is going to help. Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry its a bit disjointed, I am very tired indeed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Alison, sorry you have problems. Where are you in the Uk?

VSL is available online at Amazon.

Have you been to any different hospitals for info. There has been progress in pouch surgery. Have they considered amending your surgery?

Sheila

• Posted

Hi sheila

I am in London. Not a single pharmacy can order it. I know its on amazon but I can't afford 30 sachets a week, also not sure if they store it in a fridge.

How could they amend my pouch. For me the problem has always been the exit point, lacerations, abscess raw skin. It all feels very ragged after 10 years of punishment. I have been to Whittington and St Marks. It feels like they are just kicking my problem down the road, hoping I will stop complaining or just give up and put up with having no life.

• Posted

Are you currently at St Marks?, along with John Radcliffe Oxford I thought they were the experts in pouch formation. Touch wood my son's J pouch, from JRO, has been great since being connected in July and long may it last. Was yours ever working well? Are they able to let you have pro bs on prescription?

Hope you get some help.

• Posted

Based at Whittington, can get prescription just can't find it in the community. I know I had this done a long time ago and medicine moves quickly. Mine has never been good. I hope it works out better for your son

Wish I had stayed near St Marks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.