Anti CCP Antibody Level

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently awaiting appointment to see a Rheumatology Consultant as my GP considers that my symptoms and blood results point to RA.  (I have already been diagnosed with OA in my hip and neck/shoulder area).  The suspected RA is affecting my hands and feet.  At a recent GP appointment I was advised that blood results showed a high Anti CCP Antibody and my GP had therefore requested an urgent appointment at the Rheumatology Clinic.  We did not discuss any details about the reading of the ACCP but when I got home I looked at my on-line medical records and test results.  I discovered that my reading was 77.2.  Not having heard of the ACCP previously, I spent a fair amount of time reading up on it and I have to say that it has left me feeling very alarmed and worried.  Although I am pretty well acquainted with the subject of OA, I am something of a novice when it comes to RA, although I seem to be experiencing a steep learning curve!  I would be really grateful if any members of the forum have any comments/experiences relating to this which they would share, as I do not know anyone who is experiencing RA.  Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is great that you have an urgent appointment set up.  Try not to worry too much at this point.  Stress is bad for autoimmune conditions. 
  • Posted

I find it surprising that RA affects so many people and is quite a common disease, and yet, aside from the people on this site, I have never met another with RA.
    • Posted

My Sister in Law has had RA for many years. All she was offered to help was gold injections and warm wax. I also knew another lady who is crippled beyond belief by RA. We are so very lucky these days that we should never get to that stage with all the biologic DMARDS available for us.

Having said I know two people with it, if I tell anyone I have RA you can bet your life that, with a shrug, they tell you they have it too thinking it's like OA. It's a very misunderstood disease.

• Posted

hi missfifi, it's pretty worrying at the beginning of a diagnosis but be guided by your Rheumatologist. They will likely do tests to find if any damage in your hands and feet (mine has a scan machine in her rooms). Trying to get inflammation down is a priority. There are several meds they can try and it's usually by trialling them that they find the right fit for you so be prepared for it to take a while to get it right. I have monthly blood tests to make sure liver, kidneys and inflammation levels are OK and I ask for copies for myself to keep a record which has been very useful. I find writing down any symptom you have whether you think it's relevant to RA or not and show your Rheumatologist as you will be surprised what curve balls this thing throws up.

Everyone has a different story and everyone reacts differently to this disease which is why this forum is so good. You can vent, ask questions or just tell your story and everyone understands. Good luck. Mary

• Posted

True , we have many new drugs to treat this disease, and that is great if they work.   Unfortunately, they do not work for everyone and the disease runs rampant though your body, preventing you from walking any distance, working with your hands and causing unrelenting pain in your back, neck, hips and so on.   New is not necessarily good for everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.