Anti coagulative drugs - did they affect you badly?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am due to go into hospital in a couple of weeks for a hip revision operation (I'm in UK). I've been told I won't have to wear the lovely anti-embolism stickings this time, but will be given anti-coagulative drugs, probably rivaroxaban. I am not sure what effect having anaesthetic/spinal/sedation will have on me or this type of drug. Has anyone any experience of a similar procedure with chronic fatigue? How did it affect your fatigue, if at all?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean

I have just had surgery(laproscopic gall bladder removal).

Supposed to be a day surgery, but because of my severe M.E. I was a planned admission.

I have experienced a major relapse after the drugs and adrenaline wore off.

I am bed ridden at home, sleeping long periods, and feeling pretty rough

but I was expecting all of this because of the M.E. and I know it is going

to take longer to recover than a healthy person!

Good luck with the surgery and hope all goes wellsmile

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I am glad you are now recovering, even if it is slowly. I read your original post about the problems you experienced, and thought the team in your hospital sounded really great (apart from shoving you out too early!) Well done to you,too, for educating the nursing staff about ME. I think that is what worries me, that even health staff still think ME/CFS is still just a bit of tiredness, and don't realise that patients with these conditions can have all sort of unexpected reactions.

I don't have very severe CFS, but am wary of taking drugs which might affect me badly when there might be alternatives (hello, lovely anti-thrombosis stockings!).

Anyway, hope you get your adjustable bed soon. If you are in the UK, is there any chance of you borrowing one from the NHS? (I know, I am an incurable optimist!) Good luck with your recovery.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean

Thanks for your good wishes!

I am in Lancashire! I've seen some really nice beds on Ebay Shop at very good prices

and look like a normal bed!  Would struggle to get an NHS bed in my little place!

I was given a few injections in my stomach to stop blood clotting!

My mum fell and broke her hip about 3months ago and she had a partial hip replacement.  She had spinal block/local anaesthetic and was awake through

the whole procedure and she said she was fine! So no after affects from sedation....Personally I would want to be unconscious...but I'm not as tough as my mum!!redface

She does suffer from  chronic fatigue due to a chronic illness, but she did

a lot of sleeping once she got home and has naps in the afternoon!

But she can move so much faster than me even with the new hip and she's 79!!

But like most of us does loads of stuff on a good day then can't move the day

after!

If you can plan ahead and not do anything at all for 6weeks then you have a good

chance of making a steady recovery.

I hope they put a careplan in place for when you come out, which is what my mum had.

I hope everything goes well Jean and you make a good recoverysmile

• Posted

Thanks sunshine,

Like you, I want to be totally out. Last time, woke feeling really relaxed and calm, so am hoping for the same this time.

My workplace is being brilliant; I have told them I will probably need three months off, and they will do a staged return to work when I am ready. And I also have a brilliant partner, he looked after me SO well last time. Good supply of dark chocolate, DVDs and books, so I am sorted, I think! Bring it on!

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.