Anti depressant that doesn't cause weight gain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

im on Mirtazapine but I've noticed extreme weight gain very quickly despite running every night and sticking to a strictly healthy diet. This is enough to put me off it, it may seem silly to some but getting fat won't make me any happier. What anti depressants are uncommon to cause weight gain? 

Also so I want to switch up as it's no longer working for my insomnia, can people tell me their experience on other sedative anti depressant/sleeping pills? Thanks! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The only antidepressant that helps me sleep

Is amytriptline and I never gain weight with it mirtazipine never helped with insomnia ormy anxiety 😐

• Posted

What mg are you on if you don't mind me asking? I've heard of weight gain on amitriptyline too sad I've heard it's good for sleep but I'm scared I'll be 'out cold', I want to be able to sleep but not so much that I'm knocked out for too long...
    • Posted

Mirtazapine-30mg

Amytripline-150mg

They don't knock out they only help to put me to sleep then I'm up everyhour 😢

• Posted

I've been in your shoes exactly 8 weeks ago.

My doc gave me Mirt which worked awesome, but it makes you gain weight like nobodies business, no matter how much you work out. It's called metabolic syndrome and all you can do is either add Metformin to the Mirt to stop the weight gain (but you wont be able to lose weight) or get off Mirtazapine. 

There is a very good research article out there. Google it. 

The Canadian Network for Mood and 

Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) task force 

recommendations for the management of 

patients with mood disorders and comorbid 

metabolic disorders 

After a bit of fighting my psychiatrist and ending up seeing a new psychiatrist who is actually researching in exactly this field I am now taking: 

450mg Wellbutrin as Antidepressant (which is known to make you eat less/make it easier to lose weight)

4x0.5 Clonazepam over the day for Anxiety (no weight impact)

30mg Trintellix as Antidepressant (works the same way as Mirt, but without the weight gain)

2.5 mg Zolpidem for sleep

Zolpidem is something you dont want to take too long, just to get you back into a healthy sleep rythm. Like 6 weeks. If I need something for longer, we'll see what else is out there. 

Imovane is another alternative for sleep induction, but the aftertaste is disgusting, even on the next day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.