Anti depressant withdrawals/ benefits of coming off them??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok so I've a history of depression and have been on mirtazipine 60mg, seroquel 100mg and zopiclone 15mg for over 7 months. I take these at night to help with insomnia also. I am also on 150mg venlafaxine in the morning. been on Mirap 60mg for just over 7 months, initially started on 15mg and increased over a 1-2 year period due to depression. I was finding the medication too much. Couldn't wake up. Felt foggy and generally felt emotionless. Dr suggested decreasing the mirtaz to 45 and stop taking the seroquel. I didn't do any of that. Instead I got really anxious on the morning of going to the pharmacy and didn't collect it. I've had your typical withdrawal symptoms; no appetite, cold sweats, headache extreme anxiety for about a week now. Besides withdrawals, should there be anything to be concerned about ? Is it dangerous to go completely cold turkey? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That's a lot of medication. I suggest you slowly taper by 10% every day. But if you think you can do it than go ahead. You can guarantee that your insomnia will return within two days.

• Posted

I've been on Mirt for over 20 years at doses of 45, 30, 15, 7.5 mgs. and recently tried to taper.  I gave myself at least 3-4 months to be completely free of it.  NO WAY.  I got down to 7.5 mgs and all the reasons I went on the med came roaring back.  Taper very very very slowing.

I'm very surprised that you are at 60 mgs. of Mirt because 45 mgs. is supposedly the optimal/top dose.  So you being at 60 means your taper has to be even slower than what I did.  DO NOT COLD TURKEY (yes it is dangerous to just stop; especially the meds you are taking).

GO SLOW and good luck.

• Posted

I have been on mirtaz for a couple of years, couldnt stand more than 15 so downed to 7.5.  Now trying to get off and i am finding it tough.  I have cut it a little to 5mg but when i halved to 3.75 i had the most awful insomnia kick in.  I also have nausea a lot but have had it on higher dose too

have you got off this stuff?  I just dont know if i should keep going till it is a small piece then jump.

i also take diazepam at night 5mg for anxiety and it will need to be slowly tapered too.

it would be helpful if you could advise your best method.

• Posted

Hi ann:

Mirt taper method

1) 30 mgs to 15 = one day 30 skip two days then 15 -- did this for a month.  Didn't real feel side effects that I couldn't handle.

2) 15 mgs to 7.5 = same as above.  Started to feel a lot of side effects such as lack of sleep, crying, no appetite, sweats, fuzzy vision at time, heart pounding and more.

3) 7.5 to a crumb of 3 mgs and that's when all hell broke loose for me.  I stayed on 3 for a weeks and said to myself this is not the way I want to live.  All the symptoms I had before taking Mirt came roaring back.  Sooooooo end result, I'm staying at 15 mgs.   I talked with doc and he said if I get SAD during the winter with decreased depression,  we may replace Mirt with Cymbalta but I don't think I want to do that.

Be very careful withdrawing from the diazepam as well.  It's a benzodiazepines.  I have panic disorder as well as insomnia and depression so I'm taking xanax (a benzo too) along with Mirt.  My doc told me (this is not meant to frighten you) that is is easier to withdraw from heroin then a benzo.  I went from 5 mgs. to 3 1/2 but it took me over 6 months of tapering by taking crumbs.  It may not be that difficult for you since all our bodies are different but I strongly suggest you go VERY SLOW withdrawing from that.

May I ask why you are trying to get off of the meds?

• Posted

Mirtaz has never really worked for me, symptoms still hanging around, so dr suggest get off and we can re assess situation.  I am not sure what steps he will take next.  He wants to See if i can manage without meds I think.
    • Posted

I understand.  Suggest back to doc, tell him/her what symptoms you are experiencing tapering off of Mirt.  If doc thinks another anti-depressant will work better for you, if your symptoms warrant another go at a different med, I'd go for it.  No need to suffer. 

I would think that Mirt at the 3.7 dose, you could drop it if you go on another medication at the same time.  I feel sorry because I know how difficult it is to adjust to these meds. Do you think you can manage without meds?  You're the only one who really knows what you are going thru.

• Posted

I don't think it is 'dangerous' as withdrawal symptoms won't kill you but it can be extremely nasty and I would never recommend going cold turkey.  Each to their own though.  Good luck.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.