Anti depressants and weight gain

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone. I have just been prescribes Venlafaxine after several months on Sertraline and then fluoxetine have left me a stone heavier. As one of the main problems for me psychologically is my weight, self esteem self image etc putting on weight has been about the worse thing that could happen to me. 

Has anyone had any experience of either weight gain or loss on Venlafaxine? I'm desperate to lose the weight before my holiday in April and am eating well and exercising so far to no avail. I'm hoping starting Ven today will help me weight wise and get me back on track with the debilitating anxiety, social anxiety and depression. Just want my life back and to feel like me again. If these don't work, think I will just give up with anti-depressants altogether. Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, im on velafaxine day 10 ive no appetite which is good for me as i need to lose weight. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thanks Emma, what dosages re em you taking? I really hope it works that way for men have you friend any other antidepressants? Good luck to you too x

• Posted

Im on 37.5mg twice per day plus a weeks worth of diazepam to ease my anxiety. I was on sertraline before but didnt cope with the side effects and citalphram before that which was great but after years of taking it it stopped working xx
  • Posted

I've been on venlafaxine (225mg) alone, and in combination with mirtazapine (30mg) for several years and never gained any weight. They do give me a slightly dry mouth, so I do have to make sure not to slake my thirst with sugary drinks.
  • Posted

I am on a few forums and a lot of people say they gain weight on Venlafaxine, but then some dont.  I myselfput on 3 stone - ugh!!  Lost it all when I stopped the drug. We are all different, so maybe you won't put on any weight with it.  Seems to affect motabilism somehow.  In my case, however hard I tried to eat sensibly, I couldnot stop the weight gain

Good news is though that Venlafaxine stopped my depression and anxiety.  Ups and downs, good and bad days.  I have not been on Venlafaxine for 17 months now and feel the same on or off the drug.  Needed anti depressants when I was in acute depression, but after nearly 30 years my GP said to try without.  I am coping.  You need it though for your social anxiety, and that is one thing I am ha with now.  I won't go back on medication though. 

Be warned Venlafaxine isd a horror to withdraw from.  Must do it slowly.  It took me months, but I got no withdrawals.  Did it cold turkey once and it is no fun!!

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.