anti-depressants for night sweats

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there, i've just come off of HRT tablets after trying 3 different types, my problem with them was the breakthrough bleeding that didn't go away. i'd not had a period for 2 years before going on HRT and only did so because of the horrific night sweats i got. to go back to having regular periods (which were more painful that i ever had) was not my idea of helping. my doctor has now given me a course of SSRI anti-depressants, which i'm told have shown to stop flushes/night sweats, in the hope that the bleeding will stop now i've come off of HRT medication. has anyone else had this advice or even tried this route?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My GP suggested this route as she has had a lot of success with it. Her drug of choice is Citalopram, but as I had a lot of side effects with it she switched me to another, Seroxat, and it does seem to be helping.
    • Posted

thanks Tazchurch, i must admit the side effects list is worrying me a little but it early days yet. its the citalopram that ive been given but will remember the seroxat just in case i have too many problems with the other - thanks again smile
    • Posted

There is a very helpful group on here for Citalopram users, though those on it are taking it for depression or anxiety there are good insights into side effects and how to cope with the as they do settle
    • Posted

Reason I had a problem is that I am on other medication that can have similar side effects (though not had till took it) and clashed with it
    • Posted

That's really helpful thank you. Under check out the other group for sure 😄
    • Posted

Hi Taz i went to the gp yesterday because i feel so run down and depressed because i cant go on HRT until i have my ultra scan on the 17th dec and the doc put me on Citalopram i had i had my first one lastnight.i do no a few people on these and theyve been fine so i hope i am fine with them as well.
    • Posted

Nice got a good GP and hope Citalopram helps. I know many find it really good, but be warned that you may feel a little worse for the first few days, nothing to worry about, just the medication kicking in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.