Anti-depressants to help Gabapentin withdrawal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys. I have been on gaba for 2 years 600mg (200mg three times daily). I was prescribed it for neuropathic pain and a bad back.

To be honest, I was not taking them as prescribed, I was trying not to get too dependent on them. I did notice that they made me feel good as well as helping the pain. I felt more sociable and my mood was somewhat lifted.

Anyway, I ended up taking them approximately 3-4 days a week to help me cope with these demanding days. I also was taking more than the prescribed amount up to maybe 1400mg on these days.

After a while I was noticing that on the days I wasn't taking them I was feeling very irritable and depressed, shaky, anxious, achy body and legs, suicidal ideations and feeling like I was going off my head.

I decided to try and stop cold turkey several times and on the 3-4 days that I had responsibilities I would take co-codamol to help with these feelings. It didn't help much and I had to stop those also with some withdrawals.

I eventually contacted my doctor recently and told him of the withdrawals but I didn't tell him that I was spreading them over 3-4 days and not every day.

I have however decided to go back on the original plan of 2x200 3 times daily and take it from there.

He has given me a plan to reduce 100mg every couple of weeks to a month. He also gave me a prescription for Duluxetine an anti-depressant. He told me to take this for a month before reducing the gaba. I have not taken this yet as I'm scared that it might not help with withdrawals and just make me dependant on another drug.

I have learnt a big lesson and just want off the gaba and never touch it again.

I would just like to ask anyone on the forum if they have used anti-depressants themselves whilst weaning off the gaba and If it just may be a bad idea to do so.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.