Anti embolism stockings

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello ladies,i am 3 weeks post op abdominal hysterectomy and removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes.My question is,how long do i have to wear the anti embolism stockings for post op?i forgot to ask the nurse who discharged me.....xrolleyes

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, sorry about that I sneezed!!!!!

I had my op 6 weeks ago and left the hospital without stockings so I guess the best thing to do would be to speak to your gp, 

• Posted

I wasn't told to bring stockings home with me either or have the injections after I left hospital when I had my hysterectomy in June 2014.  I only actually wore the stockings for 2 1/2 days whilst in hospital.  
  • Posted

As I understand it the stockings are there to help with blood pooling in your legs when you are not moving around. 

Once you are up and about, and walking even if not normally, its the movement, and using your muscles in your legs that matter, then you can take them off.

Having been there, and done this, the more you move about the better, even when it hurts, you just have to go slowly.

As a bonus even when you are sitting, flex your ankles and knees as much as you can, keep those muscles going.

• Posted

Hi there

I am also three weeks post op, same surgery, I had injections for a week and wore stockings for a week, they told me when leave them off when moving about. I have had a previous DVT too.

Thanks

• Posted

I wore my stockings until i came out of hospital.I had to wait until i got home because no one else had time to take them off.It was so funny as my Dad tried to take them off.I suggested he cut them off as i couldn't bear the pulling.I was trying not too laugh at it hurt my stomach but i couldn't help it.I was dreading having to do the injections but i didn't have to have them.

xxx

• Posted

Hi

i only wore mine for a couple of days at home.  I had a few setbacks after my op, but as long as you are moving regularly and doing the leg and ankle exercises, you should be ok if normally healthy. Best to check if other medical conditions tho.  

Tip:  The nurses all said to keep the stockings and use on long flights, save buying expensive flying socks/stockings

• Posted

Omg I was told to wear mine at night only for 10 weeks post op by the matron on ward, beginning to think now she was pulling my leg haha lol 😁 xx
    • Posted

Hi there

That's a strange instruction you've been given there, don't want to go against what you've been told, but doesn't make sense just wearing them at night! If you wear then you need them all the while, I'm a nurse been in the trade for 30 years and not heard that regime before! Although I must admit Gynae is not my area! Perhaps give the ward a ring? Have they give you more than one pair?

• Posted

I was told to wear them for 2 weeks day and night, I actually wore them for 4 weeks in the end as I found them really comfortable. 😊
    • Posted

Hi there I thought it was odd as well but i don't know any better so I didn't argue, the reason for only wearing them at night was it was the time I wasn't moving which I suppose made sense but wearing then for 10 weeks was excessive to me, oh Welk I'm nearly 7 weeks now haha I must admit now though I was given the wrong instructions and now I'm at risk of a d v.t
  • Posted

Hi

I was given 3 pairs and told to keep them on for at least 2 weeks... I called the ward and asked if I could take them off and they said as long as I was quite mobile I could but that I should try to wear them at night for the remainder of the 2 weeks as when you are in bed you are not using your muscles.

I quite miss them.... They are sooo attractive.... NOT!!!

Give them a call and see what they say.

Jo

• Posted

Hi nursey,

You only need to wear the glam stockings until you are up and about, and walking round. Just beware if you go on holiday make sure you wear them during any flights you might take. Hope this helps and good luck in your recovery.

• Posted

I think it also depends on your consultant, mine was very specific, he liked all ladies to wear them for a minimum of 2 weeks even if mobile, I was out walking my dogs on the afternoon I got home from hospital so I was very mobile but I wasn't going to argue about it, I was a good girl, LOL. cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.