Anti-Inflammatory and PN

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I've had worsening PN in my feet for 4 - 5 years. I sprained my foot and my doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory for 10 days. 3 days in the PN started to improve, and by the end of the 10 days it was 50+% better, meaning the worsening had stopped, and areas that were previously numb were no longer numb.

Has anyone had this experience? Could it be an indicator as to what's causing the PN?

Thanks,

Jeff

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What anti inflammatory were you prescribed?   My neuropathy has gone on for years after injuries.
    • Posted

No injuries here, just a virus or something else that caused. IC Diclofenac SOD EC 75 mg tabs twice daily, 10 day supply.
    • Posted

I tried the same anti inflammatory in a topical cream but I didn’t get much relief.  Perhaps the tablet version is stronger and more effective?
    • Posted

Yes, exactly. I tried the tablet first and improvement started after 3 days and went quickly from there. I'm now trying the topical cream (to localize use), and although improving some, it's much slower.

• Posted

My doctor didn’t even mention these tablets.  He was only interested in anti depressants. He led me to think that there weren’t any other options. Obviously there are. 
    • Posted

You have to be very careful about long-term use of anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs). They can cause lots of damage. I'm trying the topical cream because it's localized, but it's not helping as much as the tablets. Figured if we can find something that helps, we can work backwards from there to try to find a cause...

• Posted

I have found the same thing with topical creams too.  They simply are not effective at all because they are not strong enough.  I have given up on treating the neuropathy and have just learned to accept the pain when it flares up.
  • Posted

I don't think so in my case, because I've been given anti-inflammatory meds for the last 10 years and it hasn't helped PN ! But glad it helped you !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.