Anti inflammatory diets- anyone tried them?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am new on here but have been hypothyroid for 14 years with hashimotos. Have had lots of issues over the years with fluctuating thyroid function and associated symptoms. I have been told this is due to ongoing failure of thyroid and nature of autoimmune disease. I.e flare ups , phases when disease is more active. I have also had other health issues such as anaemia and recently had hysterectomy due to fibroid, so hoping my iron levels may improve in the future! I just wondered if anyone else has tried any particular diets that are meant to be anti inflammatory and reduce flare ups, have been reading about gluten free as this is meant to be good for ongoing issues /symptoms when blood results are fine. Just looking for ways to improve way I'm feeling as really not felt right for years. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have Hashimoto's since 1987. I am also an RN. Hashimoto's is passed on and you can have no symptoms and then it hits you, like  after a pregnancy. It hits women more than men, but a man can have it. It also can cause Arthritis in your body so I recommend you get tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I try to watch my carbs because Hashimoto's disease causes weight gain very quickly. Gluten free is also a good idea if you have problems with wheat products.  Also watch blood sugar or sweets as you can develop Diabetes more than another person would.  I hate having it, but since I had it my sister got tested and she has it also. It can also skip generations. Take Care, hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for reply, I have found in past that is easier to keep weight down when cut out carbs. Seem to have struggled with weight for years. Yes I have had screens for all other stuff, lupus, rheumatoid factor blah blah as you say one auto immune disease increases chance of another. I have read so much about hashimotos over the years and I too am healthcare professional,so have read research etc , but still feel no nearer  to feeling really better! Sorry to hear your sister has it too, I know , I hate it as well. I worry especially for my daughter , if she has it in later life I know the ratio for female to male is something like 6:1. I worked out the other day that I know about 10 people with thyroid disease and only 2 are men. It really is such a misunderstood condition and the effects can be so debilitating if not properly treated. Thanks for reply.
  • Posted

I agree Hashimoto's disease is not clearly understood. From what I learned is our DNA has it and then wham it comes out, some thoughts were pregnancy triggers it. Another was Epstein-Barr or "Mono" however it was never really proven. They really have no idea about why it happens. I also found out that an aunt of mine had after childbirth.  I also have been checked for other autoimmune diseases and so far so good.  I am also now a diabetic, and I do blame Hashimoto's for it.   Some people thought it was due to environment.  Mine was detected kind of late since when I was younger doctor's did not test for it. I also had low Vit D and B-12 levels for a while. Now some people take T 3 & Synthroid which is different as some of us can't convert T3 into T4 well. Maybe you need more of T 3? It is so hard to pin down, how are your normal blood levels of Sodium, Magnesium, Potassium and WBC's & RBC's? I would have your daughter tested about puberty and then again in her 20's.  Does anyone else in your family have it? I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi, porridge is reported to have anti inflamatory properties. It also has the benefit of filling you up. If you make it with skimmed milk and don't sweeten it, it is also low in calories. The cheapest oats taste the same as more expensive ones. It's easy to make, put half cup oats into saucepan with one cup skimmed milk on a low heat. Stir frequently. Once bubbling, cook for 1-2 minutes. You may need to add up to half a cup more milk. It has the additional benefit of being a way of increasing your calcium intake to mitigate oesteoporosis. It worked for me until I developed a milk intolerance. Now I use oat milk. Allergy .co . uk website may also be a useful source of info.

Barbara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.