Antibiotic induced digestion issues

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey all,

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux by my GP, and although I trust him and he was very thorough I want to get to the bottom of my condition.

i developed this after a short-ish course of fluxlocicillin. I was violently sick one night and now have developed several issues with heartburn, indigestion, acid reflux, choking feelings between throat and stomach after some meals. My symptoms are varied but I'll get at least one every couple of days. When I think relief is coming and I'm getting over it I get hit with indigestion in the middle of the night or wake up feeling like crap.

I was wondering if anyone has developed any issues following a course of antibiotics and what they have been. I am fortunate not to have any lower abdominal issues but after extensively researching this I see antibiotics have a lot to answer for. As much as they are needed in vital situations I have lost my trust in them. They cured the infection I was treating but I have been left with far worse, to be honest, and without a clear time limit as to when this will end!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey,

Finally I have found a forum where they are talking about this problems. I too had a doctor that did not prepare me for this kind of side effects, he did not tell me to use probiotics either. I am extremely desperate and anxious about the whole situation. My friends think that I am always depressed and sad for no reason but the symptoms really get to me. I do not enjoy life anymore. Seriously. I also have this feeling of shame that has been following me around because my symptoms include diarrhea, gas, pain etc. that effects me to the point that I do not wish to live with anybody till the rest of my life. I just want to be left alone.

I was taking doxycycline for 2, 2 and a half months and I cannot believe the damage it has made. Firstly, I had a stomach flu and I could not eat anything. After that, like I wasn't used to food. I could not digest anything. After short period of time, the next 2 weeks were great, and now it has come back. I have been crying about it the whole day. The bloating has calmed down, but I cannot comprehend if the D. Is because I have my period or is the illness striking back. My main question is... Is it possible to renew the gut flora? Is it possible to have my life back, to not have this problems again? I just want to assure myself that this will all pass if I take my probiotics, eat healthy etc. but I can't even eat healthy (apples, salads...) because I have a bad reaction to it. I would have more patience and hope if someone who experienced this said it is all going to pass with time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.