Antibiotic injection into eye during cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

My cataract surgeon said he would inject an antibiotic (but not a steroid) into my eye during cataract surgery. I'd be interested to hear about other readers experience with antibiotic injections.

I will not be using drops before surgery and I believe only one drop 4 times a day afterward.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

I think antibacterial drops prior to surgery are a mistake. They can lead to resistance and potential infection when you really need them to work after surgery. I have not done much research on the injection method other than it seems to be controversial.

• Edited

Cataract surgeons have their own regimen for drops before and after surgery. A few do use injections. It varies from surgeon to surgeon. Besides antibiotics, steroids and anti-inflammatory drops are also used.

• Edited

My surgeon used an antibiotic shot during surgery also and no antibiotic drops after surgery. Since everything I read indicated that EVERYONE seemed to use antibiotic drops after surgery, I was concerned and questioned the doctor about it. I am with an HMO so I did wonder if they were skimping in this area.

I did not have any infection in either eye so it seemed to work ok with the just the shot during surgery. I was only given the one check up by my surgeon the very next day and no other appointments until the 6 week Optometrist appointment. My doctor asked me to be on the lookout for various symptoms and to call immediately if I had any. I had no symptoms of anything and had normal healing. I only used the peristome program of 4 x daily for one week, gradually reducing to one per day on the 4th week to keep the swelling down.

• Posted

Yeah, I had no problems at all. Also, just got back from the Optometrist on the 6 wk. appt. and the results look very good! I basically still don't wear glasses with the -01.5 LE and -01.00 RE final result. Some of the astigmatism is gone also. This 3 month long ordeal may actually have been worth it!

• Edited

Yeah, I had no problems at all. Also, just got back from the Optometrist on the 6 wk. appt. and the results look very good! I basically still don't wear glasses with the -01.5 LE and -01.00 RE final result. Some of the astigmatism is gone also. This 3 month long ordeal may actually have been worth it!

• Edited

Congratulations Spring! Just to recap, you don't wear glasses with the -01.5 LE and -01.00 RE final result and some of the astigmatism is gone also. Were those the initial target numbers? Were either or both IOLs toric lenses? And finally, I understand you don't wear glasses, I assume that means you also don't wear readers?

I'm very happy for you!

• Edited

The original targets were LE -1.25 and RE -50 so it was a surprise on the RE mainly. I am very happy with the LE at -1.5 and the RE is fine also at -1.00 My doctor would not offer me a toric as my astigmatism was not enough at LE -2.00 and RE -1.50. I don't wear readers for anything currently and do not need them. At some point if I wanted to read for a prolonged period of time like a smaller print book, I might use readers after about an hour or so as not to tire my eyes. I had actually wrote that reply to Billy and somehow it went to you but that is fine also if you can use the information.

• Posted

Obviously too late now, but the Tecnis 1 Toric comes in these powers for cylinder correction at the corneal plane:

ZCT150 - 1.03 D

ZCT250 - 1.54 D

ZCT300 - 2.06 D

Potentially you would have benefited from the ZCT250 in your right eye, and the ZCT300 in your left eye.

• Posted

Doctor said no to torics so I didn't question it or think to question it.

• Edited

You posted many questions here. I am glad the Tecnis 1 worked out well for you.

• Edited

I meant to say that Spring 1951 posted many questions here and the Tecnis 1 worked out well for him.

• Edited

Thanks, Linda,.... yes I am happy with the results! It took me a long time to figure all of this subect matter out but finally felt I had a bit of a handle on it. I chose the targets myself and glad I did as the ones my doctor originally wanted would not have been a good choice.

• Posted

Hi Spring, What did the doc choose and why did not not agree or prefer something else?

• Edited

After about a 5 minute conversation in the doctors office where I expressed a strong interest in being able to read without glasses as I do a lot of it, she decided that intermediate (-1.5 both eyes) would be the targets. The problem that I can see with that is that if she missed the targets and I ended up with two eyes at -1.75 or worse that would have been too limiting for my vision. Distance vision would have been a blur and I don't need such extreme close up vision but would prefer -1.5.

I did about a month of research and came up with mini monovision as the best idea for what I was looking for and I am happy that I chose that even though the targets were off. It worked out much better and I have both near and distance capability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.