antibiotic or not

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been having a cough and a lot of mucus in my lungs lately. No fever. I don't know if it's an infection or not because I don't have the typical taste that I usually taste when I got an infection and what I get up is clear. the only real reason I'm concerned it might be an infection is because the very first time when I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis I had these exact same symptoms and all of my doctors kept saying it was probably just allergies. but when I saw my pulmonologist they decided to do a chest x-ray and then CT which then gave him my diagnosis. the doctor then performed a bronchial scope and when he took samples the samples came back with an infection. I had not been running a fever and everything I could get up which at the time was pretty minimal was clear. he treated the infection with augmentin and between that and my breathing treatments I was golden. that was back around June or July 2018. since that time I have had a couple of infections that were very obvious and again Augmentin saved the day. I've talked to my pulmonologist and he wants to wait. I don't want to take an antibiotic if I don't need it for the obvious reasons but I'm also really sick of this cough and congestion.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i an confused as well, as when to take antibiotics. I was told that sputum with bx can vary in color and is not necessarily indicative of infection without other symptoms. i do not, at the present, have a cough, but when I use my saline nebulizer and airway clearance exercises, some of the sputum I get up is clear and some is not. IM not bringing up much, but MOST is clear yet some is yellow, occasionally a slight green tint. Yet I dont feel I need an antibiotic right now. DRS, even st Cleveland CLINIC , leave that decision up to me which I find frustrating. I never really know what to do unless IM obviously sick. What do you all do and what color is your sputum?

• Posted

I'm assuming you are not a smoker because smoking can also color your mucus . I know this because I used to be a smoker. I am not suggesting this as a means to insult you. I'm just offering that out as a suggestion as to why it might be yellow.

you are much more responsible than I am . I am so sick of using the nebulizer but I know that when I don't I get real bad. so I've been trying to use it a little more frequently.

• Posted

No, Ive never smoked a day in my life. I NEVER THOUGHT Id end up with a lung problem but I THINK ALL THE CHILDHOOD infections brought it on. I am fAithful with the nebulizer because its so hard for me to get anything up. sometimes I think theres nothing to get up but the ct scan says there is a lot!

• Posted

Hi,

That is quite a dilemma and from the replies it seems several of us are having it. My pulmo usually suggests an antibiotic when he feels my symptoms are severe enough but I hear some patients are on an on and off antibiotic schedule without actually having an infection. I also read that taking an antibiotic like azithromycin every two months could reduce the number of exacerbations in the long run. I myself may have a serious infection with micobacterium avium (MAI) but have no symptoms. There was just a hint of it in the test results from a bronchoscopy that I took last summer. Meantime my lungs seems to have gotten so damaged that I am now on oxygen replacement. MAI is related to tuberculosis and the treatment is the same. Three antibiotics are used alternatively, two with very bad side effects. I did not think I could take it since I am already in a weakened state. Let us know what you decide to do.

With you strength.

Louise

• Posted

hi , I spend winter in Lanzarote as UK is too cold and damp , I am brilliant over there with the sea air. the last two times I have come back home , I have quite bad coughing all day , my consultant said it may be inflammation, as a blood test told them it was not a chest infection, he told me to just take steroids and they sorted me out, I am same again this time so I am just trying steroids again. its a if my lungs do not like the air in the Midlands.

I dont know if anyone else has had this, but it goes to show we can get chest infection and sometimes inflammation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.