Antibiotic recommendations for chronic sinusitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all,

Few questions regarding chronic sinusitis:

1. Can it really make you feel that terrible? I feel like total crap.

2. Has anyone else experienced bad dizziness? I've had vertigo off and on for years but this dizzy/unsteadiness is for the birds. 

3. The doctor prescribed me Levaquin for 21 days. I refuse to take it based on the fact that I have neuropathy problems already and joint/tendon issues. Has anyone tried any other antibiotics that helped them? I was looking into azithromycin but wasn't sure if it would work since the doc said I needed a few week treatment of antibiotics to kick this.

Im allergic to penicillin and sulfa so I'm limited. 

Can an anyone please help? Thank you!  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

grapefruitseed extract, no tears baby shampoo, seasalt, boiled water, nettie pot 6 drops grapefruitseed extract couple drops shampoo, 1/16 tsp sea salt, eatch nostril 2x a day. works GREAT!

• Posted

I have had chronic sinusitis since I was a child. Regular bouts of dizzy spells, disorientation and brain fog have plagued me on and off for years. An MRI revealed a clogged right maxillary sinus. 

Nothing I have tried has ever emptied that sinus completely on a regular basis. I just did a round of antibiotics and it is finally clear now. Too clear really and cold air is now giving me brain freeze. 

I was on Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium tablets paired with the Flonase that was recommended. I have tried Flonase before and  it really has never worked for me, this time was no different. You need a very good nose spray to keep the sinusitis at bay. Nasacort is very good but you have to be good about using it. That is my whole problem really. 

I dislike taking antibiotics but when the mucous is carrying infection you have to. Post antibiotics I take my probiotic. Once the infection is clear you can focus on prevention. Prevention might require you to try a few different nose sprays to see which one works for you. Talk to your doctor about prescribing you a nasal spray once the infection is cleared. 

• Posted

Hi ashley88801, I am the same trouble..many antibiotics no longer work for me..I had major sinus surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago, still sinus infection..they put me on biaxic..it does cause stomach upset but I've gotten that to a manageable level by taking probiotics 1 to 2 hrs after each dose of biaxin and eating alot of yogurt..the biaxin seems to b working.

Hope this helps..n hope u feel better

• Posted

Absolutely!  I have felt like crap, lots of times!  Other people cannot identify with this sinus problem "crap"!  I've had it all my life as did both my parents.  This, plus, I am highly allergic to penicillin, sulfa, Cipro and relatives.  They just look at you and say they don't know!  Have been on Cefprozil for almost a week and am worse!  Can't breathe through my nose, extreme headache, right side pain is worse, like a migraine!  Am going back to the allergy doc and see if they can suggest anything.  To make matters worse, doctors, some, do not want a patient such as myself.  I am 81 years old now.  I need help!  Surely there is an answer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.