Antibiotics ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with DD and have had several flare ups of what I now realise were mild. I am now experiencing a flare up that beats all flare ups. My doctor has given me antibiotics (Metronidazole)  does anyone know when these tablets  will take effect I have been taking them for 4 days and had hoped by now I would have seen some improvement.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sylvia, 

For me the antibiotics made me so sick! I always was put on Metronidazole and Cipro for 10d. But had pain till the end of the antibiotics and lesser pain for months after. I’m not telling you to scare you  but to warn you it can happen.

• Posted

Hi! My first attack was similar. Not admitted to hospital,

Just sent home with 10 days of Cipro and Metronidazole. Horrible diarrhea from antibiotics and could barely eat anything. Bowels normal after about 2 weeks. Just saw GI dr for first time and I said I feel everything and worry all the time. He told me 80% of people have one divi attack and don’t ever have another. I’m finding that hard to believe. I asked if I should have antibiotics on hand for a flair and he said, if you start to feel pain, go to liquid diet for 2 days to see if it goes away. So I would say, try liquid diet and see if that helps

• Posted

I'm the same as Katealso but I got Metronidazole and Sulfatrim. Still dealing with pain 2 months later but much better. Did you do 2 days of liquid then the low residue diet? If you are not feeling better maybe it is worth a trip to the doctor or the ER to be safe. I was once told if after 3 days of the antibiotics (mind you my 2 pills are 3 antibiotics) to come back. I hope this helps.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Each time I would finish the antibiotics, I would be off 5-10 days then the pain would come back! I’d go to the Er  and again the CT scan would show diverticulitis again and sent home with another 10-15d  of antibiotics! Definately see your DR if you have a fever, blood , or worsening pain!

Kate

• Posted

How are you now? What's your diet? How old are you? and that's a lot of CT scans. I hoping my 50 year old Husband doesn't keep getting this. Someone told me when you feel a flare up make caraway tea with caraway seeds. You can google it but it's 1 tbsp to 12 cups of water. Can't hardly taste the Caraway at all.  Can't they just prescribe you antibiotics instead of going to the ER everytime?

• Posted

Hi Shea,

I was diagnosed with diverticulosis at 53 with my first colonoscopy.  My Dr said I did not have to eliminate any foods since less than 10% would develop diverticulitis. I was 58 with my first episode was June 2016 sent to ER

CT confirmed diverticulitis sent home on antibiotics for 10 days. Off for 10 days and slammed with pain again. Sent to Er , another CT again diverticulitis in same sigmoid colon. Again so sick from antibiotics, nausea and diarrhea. That was July 2016. August I was fine. September and October I had pain and diarrhea again and the GI doc kept me off the antibiotics. I was miserable despite diet changes. I had a colonoscopy Dec2016 that showed no infection at that time. Fast forwrd to Dec2017,Jan and Feb2018 same dx by CT in the ER.  My Dr always sent me to ER which was ridiculous! I’m sure she was worried about a perforation . It was rec I think about surgery. I met with the surgeon and weighed my options.  I decided I couldn’t deal with this anymore. I also developed neuropathy in my hands and feet from the antibiotics.

I had  12 inches of my colon removed 3 1/2 weeks ago.  It was done robotically . I have 4 small incisions and a 4 inch incision on my lower and. My pain was minimal after. Both my sigmoid and descending colon were removed due to mod to severe diverticulosis . That part of the bowel was narrowed and hard.  Recovery had been ok . Not perfect so you have to find again what foods work for you. Diverticulitis can occur again! 

Looking back over the last 6 months I was sicker than I thought and so glad I had the surgery! I am now 60 and in good health.

• Posted

There is a theory about what causes the diverticulosis in the first place.  It has to do with the kind of bacteria we have in our colons.  It turns out there is a wide divergence between people.  Some people have hundreds of different species, and some of us have only 5 or 6 different types.   Some of these bacteria are not healthy to have.  So, we have to take more prebiotics and multiple varieties of probiotics to override, "out vote", the bad guys.  Also, the antibiotics kill off the good guys, so it's a struggle to get a healthy gut again.  I am taking grapefruit seed extract pills to kill off the bad bacteria in my gut.  The bad bacteria love the highly refined grains and sugars, so I try to avoid them.  Also, I now take reishi mushroom pills, cordyceps, and American ginseng.   This time has been my quickest recovery even tho it was my worst episode ever. 

• Posted

My Husbands Antibiotics didn't work and that's what we took. Went back to ER and they gave him stronger Antibiotics through IV and he's feeling a lot better. He still in the Hospital monitoring everything. This is all new to us too but we went back to the Hospital. Let me know how it goes. 

• Posted

I would try a liquid diet for one to two days and use a heating pad on area.  You can take tylenol if needed too.  If you still have pain after that I would go see your physician.  I have had this terrible disease as well for more years than I like to think but after rounds and rounds of antibiotics and hospital stays I have learned that I don't jump into antibiotics unless I am feverish, in terrible and and no appetite.  I  know what a day or so doing what I mentioned and it has gone away.  My last attack I was so sick I knew I had to go to the hospital.  I was admitted and given Cipro and Metrondazole intravenously and sent home with 5 more days of the same in pill form.  It took me at least 3 months to feel myself again so if this pain is unbearable and you feel sick it's time to seek help .  Good Luck and God Bless.  It's very unpredictable and some people don't have symptoms and are fine but those like us seem to be on the edge of our chair worrying when the next flare up will occur. 

• Posted

For me I had pain from irritated bowels for a week or two, very intense pain rolleyes
    • Posted

Not sure why my frowny face is an eye roll face, but it was meant to be a more agonizing face, that pain was the worst I've probably ever experienced.

• Posted

I never have good resolution with metronizadole solely. My most complete resolution came with cipro and metronizadole combined for 10 to 14 days. It may take a while to resolve the infection. I've had bad flares require 21 days of both antibiotics. I know you feel bad, and i'm sorry but just try to be patient. This takes time my friend. Feel better!

• Posted

Dear Sylvia, I'm so sorry you are suffering.  I had a bad flare in October.  that makes 10, I think.  Is metronidazole the only antibiotic you are on?   This time I really changed my diet, in hopes that I won't have any more episodes.  I have found that I recover faster if I severely reduce my food intake.  For me, I found oils and dairy are very inflammatory.    I started juicing celery, kale, beets, apples, and ginger and I started healing rapidly.  That antibiotic gave me pain in hips, and wrists, also headaches and dizziness.   Thank heavens those side effects gradually left me after I stopped taking them.  The hip is still not great but is slowly improving. The surgeon won't resect my bowel now as the CT scan doesn't look "bad enough".

• Posted

Hi Traderkate, this is the first time I have needed antibiotics so yes it is the only one I’m on and I am having similar symptoms to you , I was also given Nefopam Hydrochloride tablets for the pain, I stopped taking these because I thought that they were causing the dizziness and plus they were not doing much for the pain.

can you suggest another antibiotic? I am not a very big eater because I don’t tend to have much appetite most of time but I will try your advice and try juicing.

I have suspected for a while that chocolate gives me problems but up until now they haven’t been major problems so I am now determined to be more dissaplined with what I am eating. Thank you for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.