antibiotics

Posted , 8 users are following.

my consultant has put me on six months( antibiotics)has any one else been on antibiotics for such a long time, and did they have any side affects, i seem to have a bug that just will not go away. i have had bronchiectasis all my life i am seventy now and have managed my lung condition well, but now it is taking its toll as i get older but i am determined to fight on.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Which anitibiotic has he put you on?

Do you know if you are colonising some bug or other ie.Psuedomonas?

what dose of AB has he put you on?

If its Azithromycin then many people with bronchiectasis are on that AB all the year round, usually 3 times a week, but  can be every day

• Posted

hello ohara and christiann, i am taking amoxicillin two twice daily each has 500mg. i have taken so many ABs over the years that its only now that i am taking note of them all, as i get older some are causing me problems and amoxicllin is ok for me but for the odd bout of thrush, but i have never been on them longer than two weeks, but if a lot of people are taking them for long periods like you say, then i will stop worring. thanks for your replies sylvia.
    • Posted

My husband had pseudomonas and has taken every antibiotic under the sun. We start Azithromycin tomorrow.
    • Posted

good luck hope it works, i know how frustrating it can be when nothing seems to work.
  • Posted

Hello o Sylvia, icam on antibiotics for the last 4 years, twice a day. It is an inhaled antibiotica called  colistimetato. I had azitromycina as well but as I did'nt feel any difference I stopped taking it. Do you have Pseudomonas aerigunosas? I have not had any side effects of the antibiotic but I must say that I do take lots of supplements to take care of the guts, which is very important. They do analyses as well to see if the kidneys are o.k. I hope you are allright and wish you good luck! Take care, Christianne
  • Posted

Hi sylvia

I too am a lifelong bronchi and I have also become much more intolerant of many drugs and many abs.  As I am colonised with HI I only went a week at most at the end of an infection before another round of abs.  This took its toll from a GI point of view.

If, like me, Amox is one of the abs which you tolerate fairly well, I am surprised, if your usual bugs are sensitive to it that it is not kept as a treatment ab.  You don't say what pest you usually grow and what it is sensitive to - you might want to ask them.  Has your consultant not mentioned a prophelactic antibiotic eg Asithromycin which you would only have to take 1 Mon, Wed and Fri or 1 a day?  There is also nebulised antibiotics too.  I neb Tobramycin 1 month on and 1 month off.

Wish you luck.

cx

• Posted

my consultant tested my sputum for the best AB which was doxycycline and amoxicillin i chose the latter as i have no problems tummy wise but do get  thrush, i have an an appointment in four months to see him so i will see how i go from there.
  • Posted

Hi Sylvia

Have been on various antibiotics for lengthy periods both as prophylactic and more intensive treatment.

Long periods per se no particular problem, it's really the choice of antibis.

Like you, amox generally gives me thrush. Since I always seem to have moraxella then they never bother giving me a amox by itself - Moraxella is resistant. Doxycycline and moxifloxicin make me photosensitive. Azithromycin gives me hideous GI problems.

But then the side effects are the same for short or long doses.

Good luck

S

• Posted

Whilw waiting for a pretty poor urolgist to get her act togther my gp has given me antibiotics to stop constant kidney / flanks pain that seems to show a kidney issue.

Urologist likes to call it a water infection and fob me off that is nothing and related to my spinal issue. On paper I was promised investigation on 2 occasions post hospital inpatient incidents.

Absolutely nothing, all I want is answers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.