Antibiotics

Posted , 7 users are following.

What procedures besides dental do I need antibiotics for (I have had hip & knee replacements)?  Example cutting out an ingrown toenail or cutting a mole off. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was told to dose up before anything invasive such as a gynecological exam. I would expect that includes colonoscopies. As far as dermatological removals, I would just ask my ortho or the dermatologist. 
  • Posted

Note:  You do NOT nee antibiotics anymore for a dental procedure.  The 2014 guidelines from the ADA only recommend it for people with known heart problems.  Otherwise, that recommendation has been discontinued.  We had a big thread on this a while back.

"As was found in 2012, the 2014 updated systematic review found no association between dental procedures and prosthetic joint infections. Based on this review, the 2014 Panel concluded that prophylactic antibiotics given prior to dental procedures are not recommended for patients with prosthetic joint implants." - ADA

• Posted

Why are they telling me to take them??? Doctor and dentist. It is such a pain!. If I forget I have to reschedule. Two sisters with tkr were never told to take them.
    • Posted

That finding is from the American Dental Association and has been in effect for a few years now.  I would print out the original ADA Guideline and show it to them. 
  • Posted

Your doctors will determine this.  If you recently had a TKR, I had a root canal and crown and had to take a/b.  I just had an ingrown toe cut out and I took a/b to keep the toe from getting infected.  My doctor due to my autoimmune with the exception of my tooth does not want to do any type of minor surgeries until after 8 weeks, but everyone is different.
  • Posted

I was told by my surgeon that you need antibiotic for anything invasive, even cutting out a toenail. He explained because the implant is not natural there is nothing protecting it from infection, which would be pretty awful. So even colonoscopy, cystoscopy, and dental or surgical procedure needs to be premeditated with antibiotic, easier to do that then chance infection

Good luck

• Posted

No idea what other specialties recommend but the antibiotic protocol for dental work (except in the case of specific heart patients) was suspended in 2014 by the ADA.  Anyone who tells you different is flat out wrong.  Doubtful?  Look it up on the American Dental Association's official website.  Done.  Mic drop...

• Posted

Just saw my OS yesterday and he reiterated that I don’t need antibiotics for dental cleaning but need it for other dental processes such as crowns, fillings,  etc. also need them for endoscopies, colonoscopies, urinary tract procedures, skin boils, infected lesions, podiatry procedures (such as nail cutting and ingrown toenails), surgeries and cardiac catherization. He even listed which antibiotics, how many mg and how many hours prior.
    • Posted

While I hang on every word that Chico utters, I have to disagree with the dental thing. The reason why you have to take antibiotic for the numerous things you mentioned is because of infection. The mouth is the quickest for infection to spread. While I’m sure it’s true that they may say you don’t need it for cleaning why take a chance. What if you are nicked and bleed and infection gets the chance to set in. Do you realize it will go straight to the implant because there is nothing to protect it. If your knee gets infected they will have to open it up, do the procedure all over again and you will be immobile for at least three months. Gee, I really don’t think I would chance that, I would take the antibiotic s and not have to worry. My surgeon said anything invasive, and especially dental from cleaning to extraction to ANYTHING. That’s good enough for me. Good luck
    • Posted

You can disagree but the American Dental Association disagrees with your disagreement.  They dropped the requirement almost five years ago.  Your problem will be that to get the antibiotic, the dentist has to prescribe it...and they won't do that anymore, except in very special cases determined by their guidelines.  They discontinued the use of the antibiotic after years of research showed that it made no difference.  Yes, some "old school" dentists will may still do it but that protocol is door nail dead.

• Posted

I tend to agree with Arlene. As a microbiologist, I agree in the over and abuse of antibiotics-historically. But I believe that the risk of infection to implants, especially new ones, is really not worth the risk of not pre-dosing. I’ve had three knee replacements and a hip. Thankfully,  ( knock wood) there have been no infections of any kind. As long as my OS recommends it, I’ll follow his lead. He has done thousands of knees and has a less than 1% infection rate. Doing something right. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.