Antibiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have not posted here since my horrible trip to Mayo Clinic. I decided to write here today to see what everyone else has to say about this, I am going to try my best not to ramble and get straight to the point but I'm very depressed and anxious at the moment so my brain is going a mile a minute! From mid September of last year until early October I did not have a single cyst! I made it thru my wedding and honeymoon with 0 cysts! We went to the Bahamas by the way, it was hot, humid and I was sweating like a pig the whole week but had zero cysts. Continued to take the antibiotics same dose same everything and after being home from the Bahamas for 2 weeks I was getting 2 to 5 cysts weekly. Some were new some old ones popping up again! Weekly visits to the dermatologist for steroid shots! Seems like the antibiotics quit working! Has anyone had a similar experience? recently everything has been annoying me and making me angry! Is this from being in constant pain? I'm at my wits end with this horrible debilitating disease!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what to tell you. I wish I did,,,,I have not had a cyst is 3 months....go figure ....I wish I could help you but at least you got to enjoy your trip

• Posted

Hello!

I am sorry you are having such a tough time. In regards to your question yes, I have heard of antibiotic resistance. Did you happen to change anything else recently: eating habits, medications, maybe experience extra stress?

• Posted

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear about your flare ups. Ive been okay in the winter months, dreading the onset of Spring and Summer.

To answer your question about Anti-biotics, i regularly get prescribed Clarithromycin for my flare ups, and whilst in the past these have worked very well, i noticed this year they had less of an effect.

There are several studies about how long term use of Anti-biotics can actually weaken the immune system, and as our condition is classed as an auto immune disease, one can only assume that they both are related. Our bodies will also get used to the anti-biotics over time and they will be less effective at treating affected areas.

Unfortunately it will always be an uphill battle with this condition as over time it gets worse, I would also, if you havent already look into the different stages of the condition and see if possibly your dermatologist will take a different approach to treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.