Antibiotics And Diarrhoea

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm on antibiotics and am getting awful diarrhoea

from them . Is it best to stop the Abs ?

I usually get an infection from diarrhoea .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Taking extra potent probiotics really helps me with that.  Or maybe cut the antibiotics in half.  I can only handle half of the normal dosage - 250 mg of the Flagyl instead of 500 - and it works to cure the diverticulitis just as well.  
    • Posted

I am on half the dosage , 250 mg of co-amoxiclav.

The diarrhoea is awful . I do take a probiotic , need to go and take one ,lol

• Posted

Try doubling the probiotic - and be sure it is a powerful one.  Go back to one when things settle down.

• Posted

What is Abs ? Are you on two antibiotics are just one?  When was the last time before this time you was on antibiotics ? 
    • Posted

Abs = antibiotics . I'm on one sort . I was on them 2 months ago

for another flare up.

• Posted

I am on antibiotics for a bacteria infection on my left lung   They have upset my bowel but for me i feel I need them to help my lung. What are you on antibiotics for? 
    • Posted

I'm taking them for a diverticulitis flare up . I'm finding it really

hard to cope with the diarrhoea, got another 3 days and can't eat anything

as it goes straight through me and causing stomach ache .

• Posted

Hi Linda 

I wouldn't stop the antibiotics but would suggest dry toast or plain crackers. drink plenty of water to stop dehydration from too much diarrhoea. I understand that doctors in France actually prescribe Probiotics when taking ( and after ) a course of antibiotics to put good bacteria back into the stomach.

I take probiotic capsules every morning before breakfast also probiotic yoghurt drinks and it calms my stomach and bowels.  

Having said that I wouldn't hesitate to see your Gp if the diarrhoea persists or you feel dizzy. 

• Posted

Hi Frankmice

I am sticking to toast and I always drink lots of water .

If I'm no better tomorrow I will have to see my doctor .

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.