Antibiotics and PMR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have had PMR for about 2 years and I'm currently taking 11mg of methylprednisolone. Have had problems in the past getting below 10mg.

I unfortunately ran into a dental infection last week and was placed on Amoxicillin.

During this time I have found that my PMR symptoms have improved and I'm feeling significantly better.

Wondering if this is a coincidence or if there is a direct cause and affect relationship going on?

Has anyone else ever experienced this and does anyone know if there is anything in the literature that addresses this affect? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's possible that the tooth infection was contributing to your overall inflammation load.  Others have found that although clearing up a dental problem doesn't "cure" PMR it seems to make a lower dose easier to attain and they feel generally better.

• Posted

I had a really bad attack of bronchitis whilst in hospital in March.  They “dripped” antibiotics in night and day for 5 days.  During that time I had far less PMR pain.  But, as I was lying in bed most of the time (high fever) it’s perhaps not surprising.😏

• Posted

Hi I am on 10mg pred and mtxt.

i have had to go on Amoxicillian and something else for a kidney infection, but it has never improved pmr pain for me.

but someone more experienced than me will come along and tell you more.

• Posted

A lot of people have commented that they feel better while on abx. The effect doesn't last though.

My husband has a colleague whose wife had what appeared to be PMR. She reacted badly to pred (I have no idea what dose, I suspect probably higher than was needed but I don't know). He persuaded her doctors in Hungary to try long term antibiotics which they had noted had a similar effect to yours - again, no idea what or what dose. It apparently worked to get her PMR into remission - or to cure whatever was causing it.  I, on the other hand, have never had any relief from antibiotics at all.

As a mechanism - antibiotics do have an antiinflammatory effect. And as Anhaga says - maybe the dental infection was contributing to the way you felt.

• Posted

The tooth has been a chronic problem for the past 10 years with intermittent acute episodes with the latest being this past week thus the Ab.   I’m having the tooth removed today so it will be interesting to see if my PMR symptoms improve since theoretically the source of the infection ( inflammation ) will be gone.  
  • Posted

I just finished a 2 week course of amoxicillin and although it did clear up my chest infection it didn't help my PMR. I guess you are one of the few lucky ones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.