Antibiotics and the Inner ear

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I have a vestibular disorder since april... started out as VN... now I just have residual dizziness and balance issues. I was also just diagnosed with Diverticulitis and was put on Metronidazole and ciprofloxacin hcl...do u know if those antibiotics will hurt my inner ear and cause more damage? Or will I just have side effects until I stop taking them. I feel off and a little pressure in my ear.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stay I m not a medical expert but I doubt they will do you harm hope you feel better soon smile
  • Posted

Believe it or not I have Diverticulitis too and have been on the same med without any side effects. I also have complex partial seizures controlled by Topirimate, Hypothyroidism, a bit of anxiety controlled with 40 g of Prozac. Everything okay except this balance issue.
  • Posted

Ototoxicity is usually associated with drugs, antibiotics, that end in mycin.  I have had vestibular issues a little over two years and have been on multiple antibiotics since onset. Currently on Cefzil and Sulfamethoxazole. Something, virus, is going on where I am that has caused sinus like symptoms for 2 or 3 months now.  I have fullness in sinuses and both ears.  Tinnitus is greatly enhanced as well.  Any possibility that you may be suffering from some allergen or sinus issues as well?
    • Posted

I am well thank you. Sounds like you are still suffering with sinus related issues! Sorry to read this! Is it allergies and if so...what are you allergic to? Tinnitus and fullness as well?? Sounds nasty. I hope the drugs will give you some relief!
    • Posted

The sulfamethoxazole seems to be doing the trick. Finally after 3 weeks my sinus passages are open. Have 7 more days on the antibiotic and back for the doctor to recheck. The joys of living in the southern United States.  We don't have the nice weather that you guys have up in Canada.
    • Posted

It's not very warm at the moment...we had temps in the high 80s but they have disappeared. We are in the low 60s. Crazy!!
  • Posted

Hi I believe its gentimycin that research has shown to damage the vestibular syestm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.