Antibiotics + Colonics stripped it all: Gut repair??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay. I used to have perfectly normal gut and bowel function. I contracted blastocysts last year while traveling. I didn’t know about it until a couple of months afterwards and was put on some heavy antibiotics to flush them out. It worked. The blasto is gone.

But it also stripped my gut flora and I went from diarrhea to constipation and cramps. 

I was recommended to a naturopath where we underwent a series of 3 colonics and Bactorex (natural remedy) to flush out my system of all waste. From there I was put on the FODMAP diet, probiotics, laxatives (for when the going is just TOO tough) and psyllium husks. It’s now been 10 months and I’ve seen little to no change. It’s impacted my mood, my skin, my energy levels and more. Is there any way of repairing my stomach lining and restoring my gut flora and biome? Or do I just have IBS for the rest of my life?  Does anyone have any similar stories? How did you handle it? I feel like i’m running out of hope for ever having normal functioning bowel movements and the like. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I thought the husks were for diarrhea that is what health food store told me, but it didn’t work.     You could atleast try eating 8 prunes a day or a glass of prune juice for constipation.  Try a 50 billion flora probiotic....
    • Posted

hey nancy, 

husks are a type of fiber, similar to oats.  it is a gentle form of laxative, so i’m unsure of the information that your health food store had. 

i have tried to prune juice and it hasn’t seemed to help. but thank you for your comment smile 

• Posted

Hi kat54926

Have you tried probiotics to replace the good bacteria destroyed by the AB's. Also, start a pre-biotic diet ...check online...

• Posted

I sure have, Mary! I’m on a few probiotics. Will look into Prebiotic diets x
  • Posted

Diet and probiotics may help.  If it is IBS, you will have it for life.  It can be constant or come and in bouts.
  • Posted

Have you been tested for SIBO or had stool tests done for Candida, parasites, or other gut bugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.